Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet Mania rats :(

+2
Zoundz
Catz
6 posters

Go down

Pet Mania rats :(  Empty Pet Mania rats :(

Post by Catz Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 am

A new pet mania opened around the corner from my house. Its huge and I couldn't help having a nose around. I have to say on a whole its pretty good, there are lots of products and the animal inclosures are much bigger then the ones Ive seen in their other stores. The rabbits are in big pens and there are huts and toys for them. Its not perfect by a long shot but its ok.
I was happily pottering around (got to hold some snakes as there was a reptile guy teaching people about them) until I got to a big tank that had 2 beautiful rats in it. I asked to hold them and they are both roan girls about 4 months old. They were very friendly and healthy looking and if Im honest I really fell in love with the smaller girly. The shop assistant was telling me that if I wanted them they had to go together and needed a big cage which was comforting to hear.
I was honestly so tempted to just take them but I reminded myself that I've had enough problems with pet shop rats and I put them back and left. Now I cant get them out of my head Sad I have the space for them but I just dont feel right about supporting rat farms. I guess I'm worried that they wont go to the right home or wont be bought at all and sit in the shop unloved.
Arrrg I knew I should of just stayed out of that place! Sorry I guess this is a bit of a vent.
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Pet Mania rats :(  Empty Re: Pet Mania rats :(

Post by Zoundz Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 am

Try and be strong, if you buy them, they will just replace them with 4 more just as beautiful and needy rats... and they will realise that rats are a good seller - and everyone in the chain wins... except the rats, who will continue to be overbred for a small bit of profit on the accessories you buy to go with them Sad

On another note, Karl was in Sully's today - apparently he has in a load of rats, on litters etc... Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:50 am

Ugh really??? How horrible.. poor mum rats and the little babies who are born into such a terrible situation! Dont you wish you could just take them all but like you said they would just be replaced again and again.
I will be strong, I made my mind up as soon as I thought back to getting Sheldon and Socrates, ending up with an unexpected litter and now currently trying to nurse them all through their health issues. I cant go through that heart break again and knowing my luck if I did take them they would both turn out to be pregnant.
I promised myself that the next rats that come into our house (and from now on) will be ethical breeder rats. I want to put my name down on your waiting list but I dont want to take on any babies till my current oldies pass.
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:04 am

Ugh! at Sully's and Sad to your pet mania girls, it's hard alright, I thought about getting a rabbit the other day - not because I want one, but because she's unhealthy and I don't want her to be sent back to the breeder - I don't see her chances as being strong if that happens but like Laura says, he'll just keep breeding more unhealthy animals if he knows there are saps out there willing to take them on Cry Be strong. It's good that the staff were giving good advice with them though. Smile
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 am

Yep the things the shop assistant told me made me think "Well if they know that much then at least these rats might have a fighting chance". At least they were both girls and had some toys to entertain them.
Sorry to hear about the bunny Sad Its so hard saying no to an animal in need but I suppose we just have to focus on the big picture.
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:22 am

Sad Sullies Evil at least those girlies arent in squalor,and the staff seem to care they might be ok.i cant go into any petshop knowing theyve got them,or i get that horrible conflicting feeling..last time i went to petsstop(ages ago)was innocently admiring all the cute accessories when i saw two gorgeous roan girls that looked like our girl Nibblet,had to drag myself out of the shop.. Meh at least they werent on their own,clean etc
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Pet Mania rats :(  Empty bad pet shops

Post by bikerwitch Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:35 am

i myself made the mistake in buying pet rats in a Pet shop called the Pet Palace on Parnell street they put "bucks" in with one "doe" it was a day or two later when we noticed that one of the socalled bucks was treated differentley by the 2 of the "bucks" at the time we thought she was a shy buck. but now it turns out she is a Doe and we fear she might be pregnant so now we have to buy a seperate cage for her.

i will be bycotting that pet shop from now on and will never go there again unless i want to shout abuse at the idiots.
i feel sorry for being out in that situation and hope she will adjust being alone or being pregnant what ever the out come.

anyways this is my rant about petshops
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:23 am

Yep been there Bikerwitch.. Bought 2 ratties which were my first rats from a shop and ended up with 6 kits but only 4 survived. We kept them all as we had 1 girl to put in with mammy Socrates and 3 boys to keep daddy Sheldon company. It was stressful and expencive and not the way I wanted to start my rat experience. They all ended up with cataracts which I assume was due to inbreeding. Sheldon and Riloh have since past due to complications with teeth growing strangely and ill health in general. The rest are happy enough and very friendly but we are loosing them all close together and to the same things. Our vets bills are through the roof just to keep them comfortable.
I would warn anyone that you may (if she is pregnant) rehome a kitten to that they may have complications as the kits get older.
I feel for you.. its a really bad position to be in
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:00 pm

thanks Catz for the advice. Smile Grin Big Grin
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:08 am

Thats really tough Bikerwitch.......

I dont actually "get" how you can mix bucks and does up - sure isn't it obvious which is which Confused Confused Confused

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down