Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudden bleeding

3 posters

Go down

Sudden bleeding Empty Sudden bleeding

Post by GillianK Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 am

I'm looking for some advice. One of my rats, Elsie bled quite a lot from her insides this evening, her ladies parts! She'll be 3 in June, and has been healthy all her life, normal weight, great condition, alert and happy. I couldn't stop the bleeding, so I took her to the vet, who told me he has no idea why she'd be bleeding, and gave her an antibiotic injection. He said it could be caused by a tumour? Any thoughts? Or advice? Most of the blood was free flowing, but it had clots in it.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Sudden bleeding Empty Re: Sudden bleeding

Post by smokierat Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 am

Tried to reply earlier but my phone played up!is it dark red or watery?it could be from a tumour,dont have any experience with that but it could be a womb infection,a pyometra.She'd need a proper,strong course of antibiotics for that-a jab wont do.Is she swollen in her abdomen?hope she(and you) are okay x
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Pyometra sounds possible alright, there are other things too - and yes, a tumour is a possibility - but if it was so free flowing (sounds like it was pretty fast) - then I would say some kind of rupture sounds more likely? To be honest though, it could be all manner of things, but at her age, I doubt prognosis is particularly good Sad She would probably need exploratory surgery. For now, I would give a strong course of antibiotics, in the hopes that it's something like a pyo, and you can possibly clear it up. They usually come back though, and she'd need to be spayed, not sure I would risk it on such an old doe.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for replies guys.

Smokierat, the free flowing blood was normal, bright red blood but the clots were dark red. The vet also gave her an antiinflammatory injection last night too, as well as the antibiotic one, she doesn't seem swollen to me, but if she does have swelling, hopefully that will bring it down. I was very worried about her last night but she is now sleeping with her sister, and seems relaxed.

Laura, yeah I agree with you that at her age, I'll just treat her symptoms and hope that it clears. I got some baytril off vet last night, so will treat her with that over next week, see how things look then. For now she seems settled at least.

x
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down