Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P Lily.

4 posters

Go down

R.I.P Lily. Empty R.I.P Lily.

Post by Dangerousbeans Sun May 18, 2014 5:49 am

My daughter lost her third rat today, Lily, she was a tough one, quite bossy we thought and sometimes aggressive to us, but over time we began to suspect she was deaf.
We are pretty sure she was, she never came when called, never twitched if the dog barked, other things too. Once we understood it got easier and once she saw us coming, never bit us.
Late last night my daughter noticed she was very listless, and wouldn't take food, and cold and damp, we cleaned her up, warmed her up, and she seemed better but still weak, heart felt strong, breathing was good, and she seemed to be bruxing wraped in a bit of fabric, at 4 am all was fine, but at 7.30 she was gone, not long, still warm, we suspect it was a stroke as it was so sudden.
She was a beautiful bongo fury Russian silver baby, and now we just have her cousin Susan (another litter at the same time) a lovely Russian blue, who broke our hearts this morning, we could hear her squeaks, she was beside lily when I went in, and is running around the cage, still eating, but even now, squeaking quietly as she does so.
Daughter is very upset, doesn't want more rats, but can't leave Susan alone. Not sure what to do.
We now have three little graves marked with lavender bushes.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

R.I.P Lily. Empty Re: R.I.P Lily.

Post by smokierat Sun May 18, 2014 7:15 am

Im sorry you lost your little one :*( what age is your remaining rat?its a sad situation to be in but i would recommend getting her company or even considering rehoming her to someone who'l have company for her x She was lucky to have owners who knew her so well and looked after her so well in her final hours x
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 am

They were both just about 18 months, of the four we had, 20 months is longest one has lasted Sad

We will have to decide by tomorrow, what we'll do, I think my daughter is considering looking for an older rat for company, but is worried if one is left again.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm so sorry Liz Sad I know you had trouble with her, thinking it may have been a sensory issue, I remember our exchange over it. Thank you for giving her such a loving, understanding home, and I'm just so sorry you've lost her Sad it never seems fair... they just don't live long enough Sad and 18 months is no age at all.

I really hope you manage to sort something out for Susan, without having to resort to bringing her back to us, that would be like a double whammy for you all Sad and much better for her to stay with the people she loves. (((hug)))

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 am

Oh no  Cry I'm so sorry. I hope you find a solution for Susan  Sad 
katherine
katherine