Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rapid downhill health

4 posters

Go down

Rapid downhill health Empty Rapid downhill health

Post by Rizzo Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi all. As yoy know I have not had gteat luck with my rats. I lost Bandit and Vince a couple of months back. This Morning dougal was totally off. Rapid breathing, quite soft and pale droppings. We fed him fruit and a piece of sea bass which had been cooked in butter and he scoffed it. Hr is in the vets and on oxygen as we speak. The vet said it is nore than likely respy problems but I can't help thinking ot may have something to do with the fish. Even yhiugh it was a small piece and myself and the B.f ate it and we're okay
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Rapid downhill health Empty Re: Rapid downhill health

Post by Rizzo Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:35 am

Just an update, Dougal is home after a 5% injection of Baytrill, 2ml Colvasone injection, 1x Dimazon 5% 10ml,
20x oxygen therapy per minute and a daily intake of Baytrill, It was not the fish he had last night  Roll Eyes He has fluid on the lungs and spent the whole day in the vet. He was in a very bad way this morning, had I not brought him in immediately I probably would have lost him. He was very weak this morning out of nowhere and felt cold to the touch breathing rapidly so I had to get him on oxygen straight away.I just don't get how He was out with us last night and was completely normal to how he was this morning, so it came as such a shock that my mind was racing, wondering what was done differently and all I could think was I gave him a bit of sea bass last night. So poor little Dougal is cosy and comfy in his cage and I'm just checking on him every 20 minutes or so. I just hope he recovers because I cannot lose him now  Love 
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

These things can happen very fast  Sad Fingers crossed he turns a corner and recovers quickly x
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Yes, sounds like pneumonia, and it can happy at an astonishing speed. Fingers crossed, you're doing all you can, it's just a waiting and hoping game.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks Laura. I can confirm today that it most certainly is pneumonia. My Boyfriend went into him after work today and he was struggling to breathe so we rang the emergency vet as they were closed and they advised me to keep an eye on him tonight and to bring him in in the morning to get another dose of Baytril and Oxygen I would say. really breaks my heart. I would say Dougal will be our last rat for a while as this year has been a horribe year for my rats. I spend more time worrying about them than anything else. It's heartbreaking more than anything else but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as a pet because they really are amazing. I think this year is a shock to the system as my 5 rats prior to Bandit, Vince and Dougal had lived past the two year mark. Bandit and Vince barely made it past a year and a half and Dougal is nearing a year and a half now. I just hope tomorrow goes well and Dougal is back on the mend because after his visit to the vet a couple of weeks ago he was flying. it's only tonight hes really started to show symptoms again.

Fingers crossed he will make it  Cry 
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am

I have only experienced pneumonia in one rat and yep, at times she seemed to be improving and then all of sudden would go down hill again. Unfortunately my rat didn't make it. It is a curse of a thing as unlike a  pituitary tumour or zymbals gland tumour say, you know that it is possible for them to recover well and so you just keep trying. I wish you the best.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Sad would be a shame for you to stop keeping rats, you're a fab owner. But I do understand the need to take a break. There's not a year goes by when we don't have a bad year - some worse than others, but we lose rats all the time... it's wretched... I sometimes wish I could take a break Sad

(((hug))) I hope he gets better for you.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down