Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two young males in need of loving home!

+5
Zoundz
Lucy
bikerwitch
redrach
shanty
9 posters

Go down

Two young males in need of loving home! Empty Two young males in need of loving home!

Post by shanty Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:41 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the new forum! I wish it was about something more positive though Sad As you know, I had to have my lovely Lenny put to sleep a few months ago, and only a few weeks later his brother Mike got sick and passed away suddenly. Poor Oscar was left all on his own, so I adopted two new boys in the hope that they would provide company for him. However, the introductions have been a disaster! The new boys seem to be quite a bit younger than Oscar (who turned 1 in October) and he just has not taken to them at all, resulting in fights each time I try to introduce them. I've tried all the tricks like using vanilla essence and introducing them on various neutral territories but sadly no luck. So I'm afraid I have to rehome the new boys again as the cage they came to me in is very small and I can't bear to keep them in it. I didn't consider the small cage a problem when I adopted them as I figured they'd all be living happily together in Oscar's big cage by now :-(

Would anybody here like to adopt these two boys? Please let me know as I feel so sorry for them in their small cage... they will need a new cage but I know there are often cheap second-hand ones on Gumtree, and the one they're in now can serve as a travel cage or sick bay. They are lovely playful lads, both a cream colour with pitch-black eyes. One is outgoing, the other is shy and they both have loads of energy!

Even if nobody on this forum wants to adopt them, could you please ask around your friends and hopefully someone will be able to give these boys a loving home! If anyone would like some pictures, just ask and I'll post some up asap.

Thanks everyone x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Two young males in need of loving home! Empty Re: Two young males in need of loving home!

Post by redrach Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:05 am

I wish I could Sad
Hope you get them a nice home soon.
Perhaps trying intros just one more time might be an option?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Two young males in need of loving home! Empty Re: Two young males in need of loving home!

Post by bikerwitch Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:53 am

We have our hands full with our 2 bucks and 2 does but if i hear of anyone who want rats i let you know Smile
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 am

Whereabouts are you?
Confused

Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:56 am

Hey Lucy! I'm in Dublin.. what about yourself? Thanks bikerwitch, let me know if you hear anything :-) Redrach, I'm now so nervous that I don't feel comfortable trying it again - I went to try again about a week ago and panicked at the last second, as soon as I saw puffed up fur I was like uh oh! I think the rats can probably sense my unease which is putting them on edge even more Sad Oscar looks at me as if to say "why are you doing this to me? I don't want to be friends with them!" - I can't stand it the look in his eyes! x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:54 am

If anyone can help with transport, I'm still happy to try and intro these lads for you Smile Will perhaps be able to collect and drop them back for petrol money - but it's quite expensive Sad

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks Laura :-) Yeah money is definitely an issue - I'm studying at the moment and only working a few hours a week so haven't any extra cash to play around with. I am going to try and increase my hours in the run up to Christmas but I don't know if it will be enough.. I had to live on beans and toast for days after going down to get Oscar and his brothers :-) (they were so worth it though!) I'll let you know if there's any possibility of getting them to you xx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:34 am

I'm in the Glens of Antrim (kinda nearly as far north east as you can go in ireland!) but can travel to Belfast if there were any offers of help with this.

If we are in dire need I can cross post on a forum that helps with transports for animal rescues in ireland.

xx

Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 am

Shanty, whereabouts are you based??

Thanks,

Abdou

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 am

Shanty- I have contacts with a rescue group who help with transport and I'm getting desperate to find some firends for my very lonely last rat here. If you can PM me with some details of your whereabouts i may be able to organise transport to get these boys up to me here!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:46 am

Shanty / Lucy, if I can help please let me know......

:-)

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 am

Hi guys, sorry about the delay! Abdou, I'm in Dublin, around the Sandymount area Smile What about yourself? Aw Lucy, you have a lonely rat too? I'm sorry, I know it's horrible Sad Thank you, it's great to get such positive responses already (from you too Laura - really appreciate the offer), I really can't stand to see these guys in that cage much longer. They were really skinny when I got them but I've fattened them up nicely so now they really are too big for it Big Grin

Here is a picture of one of them snuggled in my dressing gown (the not-shy one):

Two young males in need of loving home! Pb230811

(I don't know if that worked, let me know if it didn't!) x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 am

Hi Shanty!

Got your PM. Leave it with me for a day or two - I had an offer of help with transport last week but I can see if I can organise anything for this week -only problem is that I'm going away this weekend but if nothing else gets sorted for these boys we can definitely organise transport for the following week to get them up here.

I'll keep you informed,

Lucy Love

Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:51 am

That's fantastic Lucy! I'm thrilled that they are going to go to a good home. Do you have just the one boy left? I hope they become the best of friends. I think my Oscar was just too set in his ways to be bothered with newbies on his turf Roll Eyes Let me know what you need me to do, and when your rescue friends want to pick them up... aww I hope they don't get too confused moving house twice in a few months! I know they'll be much happier with you though, they don't know what they're missing at the moment but once they're in a decent cage I'd say they won't know themselves! Would love to see some pics when you have them settled Grin

Chantal Smile x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Lucy! Any word on transport for the two lads? Just want to let you know that I'm going away for the day on Monday! x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Two young males in need of loving home! Empty Rehomed yet?

Post by kirm Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 am

Hi there Shanty

Just wondering if you've found a home for your two boys? I have a 13 year old son who would like to have pet rats - his ideal pet rat would be one to sit on his knee or shoulder, be played with and cuddled. If they have not been rehomed yet would they be suitable for us do you think? We have not had a rat before and have one very spoiled rescued dog.

thanks

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 am

Hi Kirm, lovely to hear from you! I'm so glad you've decided to adopt instead of going to a petshop! Your son has made a great choice, rats are fantastic Smile Yep the boys are still with me, I will PM you with details and we can talk about it Smile x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH SHANTY Big Grin . Merry and Pippin are now in residence in Kildare. Wooooohooooooo. They are such gorgeous boys and they've been loved up all evening and had a good sniff around their new room. Evan is absolutely besotted with them. Now off to do some ratty shopping!!

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:52 am

Congrats!
I'm glad they've got new homes with plenty of space and attention!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 am

Love happy endings! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 am

Big Grin Have fun getting to know your new family members Grin
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks everybody. The curious boys have been running around for the last hour like they have duracell batteries fitted Laugh . We've discovered that they like a bit of cabbage - its so fun trying different things.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 am

Oh kirm, I had no idea you were getting your boys so soon Grin I hope they are very happy in their new home - and that you and your son are happy with them and look forward to pics! Wink Big Grin I'm sure they're delighted with their new home after all the prep you've done.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:33 am

YAAAAAAAAY I'm so happy! I didn't think I'd find a home for the boys, let alone such a fantastic one - thank you for giving them what I couldn't Smile Oooh pretty please post some pics when they get settled, I'd love to see how they're getting on Smile x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down