Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein

4 posters

Go down

Protein Empty Protein

Post by smokierat Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:11 am

This is really a question for people who use the Shunamite Diet,im using fresh protein at the moment,chiken or egg mostly but im considering switching to dry protein.So what do you guys use?whats the best dog kibble,particularly for older rats?
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Protein Empty Re: Protein

Post by katherine Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:41 am

I'm using the hills k/d canine. It's lasting ages because it's high in fat so you don't use much. I changed to it for Monty because it's apparently good for older rats with kidney problems - I know this isn't a concern in your guys though and you may not want to use it because of Noodles' weight. They seem to like it anyway if you did decide it'd be worth a try.

When i was in Cork I was using Real nature large breed senior because it's over 30% high quality meat. Again they seemed to love it and it went very far for a bag.... I think Dave still has some in the flat if you wanted to try it..
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Will look into the Real Nature myself Katherine Smile

We use Arkwrights, because it's what we use for the dogs, and I'm very happy with it Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks guys Smile will look into that Real Nature one and probably keep away from the higher fat one..Where did you buy it?
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

I got it at maxi zoo but I didn't buy it. (I didn't steal it either - to make it clear to those who don't know me!) It's quite expensive, for a rat it lasts long enough to justify, about 10 euro for 1.5kg like I say Dave has a whole bag if you want it, either of you. It's out of date but not bad, just vitamin content - and obviously you're feeding them other stuff too.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks,thatd be great Katherine Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:47 am

Not too sure if this is the right thread to ask, but Laura, I've forgotten the name of the box of Egg meal you showed me. Is it the one for Canarys? I went looking last week for the egg food and got a little confused when I saw boxes for Budgies and some other type of bird. I would be most grateful if you could let me know, thanks , Steve ( I mix it in with the porridge each morning and the two boys love it)

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 am

You probably don't 'need' to buy it to be honest, as they'll stop needing it very soon - and in any case actual scrambled egg is better for them long term Smile Having said that, if you want a box to administer as a nice treat occasionally, then it's Cede, in a yellow box, and it's either the budgie or canary one Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks Laura, actually I gave them scrambled egg the other evening, we had it for tea, and both Merry and Pippin loved it, cleared it all up in no time. So I will continue with the scrambled egg and also a boiled egg from time to time. The are doing really well. They are truly a gift. They even have their own tiolet area, which makes cleaning out much easier. I am amazed at how quickly they have adapted in that way, as I thought I would have to toilet train them myself, but they have thought it all out for themselves. Now I know what Lew was talking about when he wrote how he travelled all the way up to Wales from the south of England to collect his Bongo Fury rats. Both Merry and Pippin are dozing their little heads off at the moment, earlier they said to say hello to you and Karl. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:10 am

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I love posts like this! Love Love

Give them a big snuggle from us! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator