Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The kittens opened their eyes today!

+3
katherine
Catz
Babs
7 posters

Go down

The kittens opened their eyes today! Empty The kittens opened their eyes today!

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:44 am

While Kitty was free roaming today I checked in on the babies and lo and behold - eyes are open! Grin

They're crawling and getting up to all sorts of mischief.

The kittens opened their eyes today! KittensOpenEyes026

The kittens opened their eyes today! KittensOpenEyes021

The kittens opened their eyes today! KittensOpenEyes020

The kittens opened their eyes today! KittensOpenEyes027

The kittens opened their eyes today! KittensOpenEyes023

Can I by any chance get a professional opinion on those ears? They're huge! Here's hoping not dumbo, or else I was all wrong about Scrabs being the daddy Embarrassed
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

The kittens opened their eyes today! Empty Re: The kittens opened their eyes today!

Post by Catz Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:57 am

Well they are dumbo Wink Very sweet as well
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

The kittens opened their eyes today! Empty Re: The kittens opened their eyes today!

Post by katherine Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 am

Aw, so adorable! Thanks for posting these Love and yeah definitely dumbo
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 am

Gorgeous Big Grin
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 am

No problem, guys. I'm really excited about raising this litter, it's a pleasure to share the experience with people who "get it" lol. Grin

Wow, so they're actually dumbo? I'd best edit that ad for them, then! I was really positive it was Scrabble that was the dad, him being top dog in the cage and appearing to "dismount" Kitty when I found them that fateful morning. So that leaves Toby and Drake (who has since been rehomed) as potential dads. Either way, I'm kind of delighted because they're SO cute! Of course if anybody here wants a pair you're more than welcome. I've done up little "adoption sheets" for potential owners. People who don't respond when I send them on aren't getting them. I'm trying to be really careful about who they go to because they may be little "mongrel" rats, but dammit they are MY mongrel rats and they will be well looked after or they're staying with me Laugh
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:31 am

OMG! Dumbossss! I love dumbos and they are so hard to come by! Ohhhh I want one!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 am

No such thing as mongral rats only varieties Wink You have some lovely roan kittens there haha
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 am

All yours if you'd like a couple! Grin They're very sweet. Though I do apologise, because I admit I don't know anything of the dad's background. My two dumbo males were rescues, but they're both very good natured and big lickers. Very affectionate boys.

D'aww, little roans. Smile
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:46 am

Just because a rat is top-eared doesn't mean it's not carrying Dumbo as a recessive. If both parents are top-eared but carrying Dumbo then about 25% of the litter would be dumbos.
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:24 am

Awww I'm sooooo tempted, my cage can take 4 rats and I only have 2 but I dunno! Blanche is almost 19 months now and has a wee infection atm which is ongoing and I'm afraid new little ones might just aggitate her with wanting to have fun all the time. Dorothy, her cagemate is 9 months and annoys her a bit at times! Blanche is an older lady now, and I'm thinking it's best to hold off getting new ones until she lives out her life. She's my little princess and her wee needs come first. But other than that I'd be so tempted, cause I prefer dumbos to top earred and they are so hard to come by!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 am

Just had a check - five dumbos and six top-eared. I never knew that could happen. I was always under the impression that a litter was either entirely dumbos or none at all!

Gillian, if you change your mind I might still have some when they're older. Smile Not everyone is passing my "are you the perfect owner" test, and I literally will not sell them to anybody if I suspect they won't be properly looked after. I absolutely *love* Blanche, by the way! She's so gorgeous. I've wanted a siamese for about two years now, can never find any breeders and though I wouldn't be a pet shop buyer, I haven't even seen any in pet shops I've been to. You're really lucky getting her! Love
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 am

Babs wrote:Just had a check - five dumbos and six top-eared. I never knew that could happen. I was always under the impression that a litter was either entirely dumbos or none at all!

Like I said, if each parent has one dumbo gene and one non-dumbo gene then you'll get a mix. The babies need two dumbo genes to be dumbo. If you use the "punnet square" method of working out the genetics then you'd get 25% dumbo, 50% top-eared (dumbo carriers) and 25% pure top-eared. Real-life genetics are a little bit more random than that, though, hence your almost 50-50 split. Some of the top-eared rats in your litter should be dumbo carriers though.
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:14 am

Aw thank you. Yes Blanche is one in a million. Love her to pieces! But thank you for offer. I'll def be very interested when looking for next rat. I really wanted a dumbo friend for Blanche, when her sister passed, but couldn't find any. You are lucky to have got dumbos in your litter, more variety and choice for perspective new homes. You keeping any?
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 am

What Lew said - you can't know who dad is.

They're cute Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:33 am

Is roan dominant or recessive, Laura? Babs' bucks are a top-eared roan, a dumbo black hooded and a top-eared black hooded. Assuming roan is a recessive trait (and I'm basing that assumption on certain breeders' "random roans", I bet you know who Wink) then I'd guess that Basil (top-eared roan) is a dumbo carrier, as is the mother.

A question for Babs: Are Basil and Kitty brother and sister at all?
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 am

I really wish I knew more on Kitty and Scrabble's background. I know a bit about Kitty's, but as Scrabs was a rescue I know pretty much nothing on him. Sad I'm definitely keeping a couple, and might well end up keeping more if there aren't enough decent takers.

Basil and Kitty are definitely not related. I bought Kitty from a breeder when she was a baby, and I took Basil from a girl in Blanchardstown when he was six months old, who said she'd bought him from the Pet Stop in the shopping centre when he was a baby. Are we looking at the possibility that Bas is the dad here? It doesn't matter much either way at this stage, I'm just majorly curious. I'd love to know!
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, at the time Kitty got pregnant I also had another male. I rehomed him to the user on here, Interceptor, as I had taken him from somebody who wasn't looking after him anymore. He was a rex of some sort I think, and he was a dumbo too. I'll try to dig up some photos of him if I have any to show you. Smile
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 am

Have to wait for Laura to chip in, but as Basil is also a roan I'm guessing that he's the father.
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 am

Here's the other guy I had. There's not really any resemblance other than the dumbo ears, but just thought I'd mention it just in case. You guys know a lot more about genetics than I do.

The kittens opened their eyes today! Newrats002
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lew Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:25 am

If the rat you gave to Interceptor was the father then you'd have some rexes in the litter. The reason I'm thinking that Basil is the father is the presence of roan babies.

Last edited by Lew on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misread Babs' post)
Lew
Lew
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:12 pm

I would say that it's a good chance that basil is dad. Are all the babies roan?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 am

Yep, all little roans. I really didn't think Basil had it in him, he gets picked on by the other boys quite often. He's a gorgeous boy though, had gorgeous babies Smile
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down