Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this hormonal aggression?

2 posters

Go down

Is this hormonal aggression?  Empty Is this hormonal aggression?

Post by Babs Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Recently Scrabble has been bullying Basil. It got bad enough that I ended up separating them, but the vet recommended I re-introduce them in the space of about five days or they'd only get worse (that time recently when I had to take Basil to the vet? It was because Scrabs had gone for the testes, given him a nasty nip but luckily nothing too serious).

So I re-introduced them, there was peace in the land for about a day, and then the squealing and hissing started again. I took them out yesterday to watch a movie with me, and they started at it again, but I managed to get it on video this time. I've done a lot of googling on it, and I'm pretty sure this is hormonal aggression. I've arranged to take him to the exotic vet in Bray for a neutering on March 24th if it comes to it, but I thought I'd maybe get some opinions on it first since I managed to film it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qBsjOGnNk&feature=youtu.be
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Is this hormonal aggression?  Empty Re: Is this hormonal aggression?

Post by Zoundz Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm

How old are they? If it's just an age phase he may settle down. Going for the testes is a pretty bad sign, and usually warrants a neuter - however it's possible that he wasn't 'going for' the testes, and that he caught them by accident when going for somewhere else. It doesn't look like the other little lad is submitting either, which doesn't help.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am

Well I took Scrabble as a rescue before Christmas, so I don't know his exact age, I'm sure he's well over a year though. He's not young, anyway. Basil is eight months exactly, and the youngest of the lads I have. He's gotten to be very reclusive though, he just retreats into his little sewer pipe whenever Scrabs is around. Sometimes though I'll see them all asleep in the hammock together, living in harmony! It seems at least three times a day I'm hearing them squealing, but by the time I go over to see what's happened it's just Basil hiding in the pipe and Scrabble puffed up and pushing his side against the entrance to the pipe.

It could be that he wasn't intentionally going for the testes, I'd really hope that it wasn't because it's the only time he's ever drawn blood. Confused
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down