Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose

5 posters

Go down

Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose Empty Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose

Post by Steve Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Merry has been sniffling for the past few days. Laura he is the Russian Blue. Was in great spirits up till last Thursday, then suddenly developed noises coming from his nose on Thursday evening when I had him out for a run around. Hadn't noticed any strange noises coming from his nose till Thursday. There was no discharge, or poryph if that is the correct term, just sneezing, sniffling and generally making noises when breathing. I said I would give it 24hrs before going to the vet. Then on Friday noises got louder, like a blockage in his nose, like a heavy cold, again no real discharge, just sneezing. Eyes clear, no discharge. So I took him to the vet on Saturday, unfortunately my brother in law is away at a conference, so another vet had a look at him. He prescribed Baytril 2.5% and said to adm 0,4ml twice daily. Yesterday morning and evening and this morning I put it in a small amount of the egg meal and Merry gulped the lot down quickly, he loves the egg meal. He did not notice the addition of the antibiotic.The antibiotics to continue for 7 days, Vet said to call back anytime. So I have given Merry two doses already. Today compared to Pippin Merry is a little thin, but he is eating a little and drinking water. I use shredded paper as a substrate, they like rummaging around in that as I scatter some meal worms, in their nest, igloo and basket they have tissue paper. In their toilet dish, which is quite large I use the wood chip. Never have found a poop in their nesting, or bedding, they are two great lads. Pippin is in great form bouncing around. Would the central heating have caused this in Merry as the air can be quite dry, though I do have fresh air circulating in the room. I'm trying to think of what might have caused this, to avoid it in the future. Concerned, any suggestions welcome. Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose Empty Re: Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose

Post by katherine Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:30 am

Possibly the central heating is a factor, but rats have such sensitive little noses and respiratory systems, they often get sniffles, and just like you can't do anything to 100% prevent a cold or flu in yourself, it's one of those things that just happens with ratties sometimes. 7 days seems a tiny bit short to me, but maybe as it's a first infection that's why it's not longer.

The best things to do, as far as I'm aware, to prevent them getting ill is to keep air circulating, like you are doing, but keep the rats out of a draught and to give them plenty of fresh veggies and healthy foods, same as you would yourself.

Hope Merry feels better soon Grin
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose Empty Re: Worried about Merry Sniffling and making noises from his nose

Post by tinanka Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 am

For me 7 days is too short as well. Barbara O'Malley always is giving for 10, even it is a first time. Dont forget about probiotic, about 1,5-2 hours after antibiotic, best for infants, I have a Protexin Restore in powder, bought it in pharmacy. Probiotic is for gut flora which antibiotic kills. Good luck.

tinanka

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that Merry has been sniffling... is there any way you can video him so we can hear the noise?

If it's nasal, antibiotics are unlikely to help - but if you're worried about his general health as well, then it's worth a try. I'd be aiming for 10 days at least, personally. The dosage looks awfully high too - are you sure it's 0.4 and not 0.04? If it's 0.4 then you need to bring it down to 0.15 twice a day, and if it's 0.04 then it needs to go up to 0.15 twice a day. Baytril isn't the best drug for babies either, as it can cause growth problems - though that's a little unconfirmed (it does in larger boned dogs and horses etc - no-one is 100% sure about rats). I use it if I think it's a bad enough case of something, or if I have no other choices, but synulox is probably better for kittens.

I think there are so many factors that cause these sniffles - most regularly they seem to be caused by changes in temperature and weather.

Hope this helps a bit? Let us know how they get on.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi all, thanks for the replies and all the suggestions. Laura, I am not able to video and put up on line as it were. But to let you know that today Merry is much better, I have enough Ab to last the 10 days, I asked for that when I visited the Vet, he said for 7 and extend to 10 which I will do. This morning Merry and Pippin were bouncing around their cage, it is as if they have springs in their little legs, like new born lambs jumping around. I gave Merry his Ab in the egg food as usual this morning and he gulped it down, he likes the personal attention and responds very well to TCL!!! Don't we all?? Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 am

Aww - glad to hear it - let me know how he gets on - I don't like such young kittens not doing well - mind, I suppose they are 3 months now. Still, keep a close eye, and get in touch if you need any help at all.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tinanka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 am

I didnt know she young, but Zoundz has right if she less than a 5 months its not good idea to give her Baytril, it can cause skeleton problems (bones abnormalities).
Good to hear shes better anyway, finger crossed.
And for future, u can try first some natural remedies, like Echinacea in drops, in every Holland and Barret and pharmacies it helps to improve immunity system. Wink

tinanka

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:16 pm

I think the echinacea thing is a little dubious... but hey, it can't hurt as far as I'm aware! Smile The baytril problem is (as far as various experts and vets have told me over the years) really only a worry for larger boned animals - but we've always erred on the side of caution with the rats too. I still use baytril in very severe cases, where I'm worried and think that it will work more effectively than other meds.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Merry is doing really well, no noise at all now coming from his nose. He is eating all around him veg, fruit, porridge with egg food mixed in and dry food, in fact he is stuffing himself on an apple as I type. He is into everything, investigating everything, he has to know everything and does not want to be left out of anything. Pippin is very laid back, letting it all happen, so they are two very complimentary lads, very different in many ways.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 am

Great to hear your little man is doing well Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by tinanka Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 am

Zoundz, Im not talking about echinacea for serious problem but only on first sign of cold. My rats taking it and I know they not only the one. Smile . Echinacea its a herb, not everyone belive in that stuff. Laugh About Enro, u right, if its more benefits than risk its worth it.
Good that little one are geting better. Smile

tinanka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down