Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch's manky penis

4 posters

Go down

Switch's manky penis Empty Switch's manky penis

Post by katherine Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:31 am

I came back to find Switch is still having problems with his personal bits. There's now a blood crusting around the area as well as pus when I squeeze it out. Will I just keep going with popping it out and bathing it? Or is medical attention required?
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Switch's manky penis Empty Re: Switch's manky penis

Post by Zoundz Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 am

As you were soldier! Keep cleaning it as best you can - if you're very concerned, try some soothing cream. It should hopefully be OK after a short while. If you are still worried, see the vet, and ask about topical or oral antibiotics? Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 am

Katherine I love how you delicately referred to his "personal bits" and titled it as graphically as you did Laugh on a more empathetic (is that a word?.) note,hope poor Switches bits start improving soon Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am

Haha I know, I was thinking that as I typed it, but it's as well to be clear in a subject line I think Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Switch's manky penis Empty Same problem with Oscar

Post by shanty Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Katherine, I know exactly what you're going through! Oscar is having the same problem lately! I just noticed last week that his pee was smelly so I did a little investigative work and found that he was all clogged up. I squeezed out quite a few solid, cream-coloured, smelly lumps... poor fella did not appreciate me manhandling his bits!! But he calmed down after a minute, he seemed to know I was doing something good for him, even if it was uncomfortable. I gave him his first bath - it was an experience, to say the least Big Grin

Now though, it seems that the stuff is clogging up inside, kind of behind his penis (I can't really describe it) Like I can see his little thing poking out and I think I can feel stuff behind it but I can't get it out! Should I take him to the vet? His pee is no longer smelly like it was, so maybe I'm imagining it... I read that this is quite a common problem in older male rats, and that we will most likely have to 'unclog' them quite often! How old is your fella? Oscar just turned 1 and a half. Is Switch in any way overweight? I think Oscar is, and this is preventing him from cleaning himself properly. He doesn't eat that much these days, it's just that he has no one to play with anymore so he doesn't get much exercise. It's becoming a real chore to make him exercise, he isn't interested in toys (but he never was, even as a baby) Sad

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread! Just didn't see the point in starting another one about the same thing. I really hope Switch feels better soon! xxx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Sounds like Oscar's is quite a nasty case. If you're really unsure it might be wise to see a vet - as these things can get infected of course.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 am

Hey, don't worry about 'hijacking' at all, we're here to share our problems right? Switch is about 18 months I think (Laura??) and yes he is quite overweight.

Poor Oscar's case sounds really nasty Sad With Switch I dissolve a little bit of savlon or TCP into a basin of water and soak a cotton ball in it, which I use to swab the gunge off. Maybe that would help fight the underlying infection a bit? Though if I were in your case I would probably ask the vet for a topical antibiotic.

I've yet to give poor Switchy a proper bath. I hope it doesn't come to that Shocked Good luck, keep us updated Smile
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 am

Sorry for the delay in replying!! Thanks so much for the advice Katherine, it has cleared up nicely and no icky stuff has come out in days. I'm taking him to the vet this evening for resp problems (will post in new thread) so I'll mention it then and she might give me something to ensure it stays away. Are Oscar and Switch from the same litter I wonder? Both are 18 month old BF boys... is your boy from Snake and Bella's litter? (So sorry to hear about Bella, Laura :-( I hope you're ok) xxx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri May 04, 2012 3:56 am

Shanty, they're not both BF boys - Switch is an Atlas boy from two BF rats - but although he and Oscar are related, I don't think it's very closely.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down