Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection.

5 posters

Go down

Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection. Empty Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection.

Post by redrach Fri May 11, 2012 8:46 am

Well, we're definitely not having a good week Roll Eyes
Tonight I've noticed Twoflower's eye looks a bit odd. I didn't notice this morning or earlier today, but I guess it is possible I didn't notice today. Though I did thoroughly check him and Rincewinde the day Chandler died, for any signs of anything..
Basically, the eye looks dull. I don't know how else to describe it. It's just not it's usual shiny black.
Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection. 456111_10150829884418171_401032324_o
Thankfully for Zoundz she doesn't see eye problems much, but a UK breeder I know said it's not a cataract and it could be glaucoma or an infection.
I've given him one drop of maxitrol since we only got it last week for Albie's eye and I know it contains anti-inflammatory and 2 types of antibiotic. Then, I'm afraid we'll be off to the vet in the morning (or asap tomorrow).
Wish us luck!
And if anyone has any other ideas or more eye experience, please let me know any thoughts you have!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection. Empty Re: Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection.

Post by katherine Fri May 11, 2012 9:20 am

Definitely wishing you luck! thinking of you!
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection. Empty Re: Sore eye- possible glaucoma or infection.

Post by redrach Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 am

Thank you! I'm a complete nervous wreck and convinced they're all going to die since Al and Chand went! Sad
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri May 11, 2012 11:07 am

I should have mentioned, it's not a cataract, I knew that much Smile some sort of infection seems plausible. Hopefully the drops will help.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri May 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Well, I just rang the vet there. Gareth was busy so the receptionist just spoke to him in his break and called me back. He said if there's an ulcer on the eye then the drops I'm using could make it worse. Sad He said he'd leave a cream out for me to use instead but I've booked poor Toothy (Twoflower) in at 2.20 to see him, just for peace of mind.

Zoundz, is there anything in your books about eye ulcers? Will know better if that's what it is in the afternoon.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 pm

No, nothing Sad never seen an eye ulcer - the few eye things I have seen have been very odd indeed.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

No worries. I'll update after the vet.
To be honest it doesn't seem to be bothering him and he doesn't seem in pain. But I just want to have it checked as I'm so paranoid after losing my oldies.
I'll update after the vets.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat May 12, 2012 12:56 am

Well, just back from the vet.
He checked both eyes in a darkened room with some weird torch.. He could see the dullness and the difference between the two eyes, but other than that he didn't think anything looked wrong. He then put some orange eye drops (sorry, can't remember the name) in his eye that were supposed to change to green if there's an ulcer. They didn't change so other than that he's a bit miffed since there's no other symptoms apart from the dullness. He told me to keep an eye for swelling, dryness or discharge as that could be a sign he has an abscess behind the eye somewhere. Other than that he just suggested keeping him on the maxitrol eye drops once a day and keeping a close eye on him.
Poor bugger squealed any time the vet came near him Embarrassed Other than that they were very calm and well behaved since it was their first time at the vet (I took Rincewinde too for company).
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sat May 12, 2012 3:21 am

Hope it all sorts out for twoflower.

And yes, they can put up quite a dramatic show at the vet, my Bubbles squeeked like she was being skinned alive when she was pinned down for her injections and when her temperature was taken (anal) she had this royal look of shock and violation on her Laugh

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Sat May 12, 2012 4:03 am

Hope this means its nothing serious, I love the names by the way Wink

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Tue May 22, 2012 8:26 am

Just thought I'd update on Twoflower's eye. It still looks the same, kind of dull. It hasn't swollen any, or changed at all. I used the drops for a few days, then was going to try every other day, but there was no change with missing a day and he seemed fine, so I stopped using them. He doesn't seem to have lost sight in it or be bothered by it in any way, so i'm not sure what's up, but it seems to be good news, touch wood.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down