Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting rat

5 posters

Go down

Counting rat Empty Counting rat

Post by katherine Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 am

I've done a post before about Ishy hoarding food but it seems he has a method as well.

He hides the shredded wheats first - takes them all out of the bowl, sifting through the other stuff to find them and takes them to his hiding places ie the tunnel, the litter tray and the castle. I was watching him the other day and he took 2 to the tunnel, then 3 to the castle. then another one back to the tunnel so there were 3 in each before he settled down and started eating them. Laugh Laugh It could be pure coincidence but I know it's been proved before that some animals can count and to me this seems like it shows basic numeracy skills! (about the same level as my own Laugh ). I know to a lot of owners they probably already know their ratties are this clever, as do I, but still when you really think about it from a behaviour point of view it's mindblowing. Shocked

I tried to catch him doing it again yesterday but he took them all into the litter tray and today I didn't have time to stay after I fed them but I'll try and catch it on camera Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Counting rat Empty Re: Counting rat

Post by redrach Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 am

My girl Schuster definitely knows how to count too. When I give puppy treats she takes hers and hides in the bed. She then goes and takes everyone else's off them and puts them in the bed. She seems to know when she has all 4 and then comes to me looking for more. Roll Eyes
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 am

NIIIIICE! Cool
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 am

So cool Love
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Hehe! Sorry guys - Bongo Fury rats just aren't that bright! Big Grin Big Grin never seen any of mine count!

No, I agree, rats are far more intelligent than even most rat owners realise! ;D

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by vivree Thu May 31, 2012 10:01 am

Mine have never seemed to count either. I know rats are very intelligent, but maybe I attract the loveable eejits of the rat world. Laugh

vivree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum