Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible lump?

4 posters

Go down

Possible lump? Empty Possible lump?

Post by redrach Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 am

Schuster has what looks like a lump down by her lady bits. I've only noticed it tonight, and it's not that big, maybe a small pea. It also doesn't really feel like a lump, it's not hard, it doesn't really feel like there's anything there and she doesn't mind me poking/pushing/prodding it. I had wondered if it's maybe a full bladder? But I'm not sure where the bladder is on rats and the fact she lets me poke it and this doesn't make her wee, makes me think it's something more sinister.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZozJ9yJiuw&feature=plcp
Sorry, I know it's hard to see in the video. Just wondering if it could be a lump even though there's nothing hard, or if anyone's seen the same thing?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Possible lump? Empty Re: Possible lump?

Post by smokierat Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:07 am

One of my litle girlie had an op to remove a small lump on friday Love it was small too,only noticed it on last sunday so we decided to move fast as she is young and healthy.like i said to you on fb,ive had a bit of experience with lumps,and i would really treat them all on an individual basis-we didnt operate in one of our girls as she was not in great condition,old and they grew alarmingly fast.on a general note,i would personally go for the op in otherwise healthy rats,depending if the lump is in a safe place,does seem beignin etc but it really is just my opinion,there is no black and white ..I'd say best bet is to see what the vet thinks it is.what age is she?how is her general health and condition?she looks like she's pretty lively there in the vid Smile it seems like my lot aren't the only squirmie mad things when you're trying to examine them Laugh good luck with you decision Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks, this convo continued on facebook but i thought i'd post this here to see if anyone else has an opinion.

My vet is off on paternity leave until next monday. Is she going to be okay if i wait until then? I don't really know the other vets or trust them. The receptionist said 'they all do a bit' regarding small animals, so i'm not too confident. Or is it just better to get her in asap with someone, who may well have some experience, but not as much as my usual vet?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 am

So, it turns out Gareth's going to be in on Thursday evening briefly, so I have an appointment for Schu then. She's been getting lots of attention today and a few sneaky bites of Malcolm's special kitten food. Every now and then I look at her and wonder if maybe she doesn't have a lump and I'm just imagining it. It's very odd- squishy and I can't really feel anything, but there is a noticeable bump at certain angles.. I'm confused. But anyway, we'll find out on Thursday!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Good luck!
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I don't know if it *does* look like a mammary lump to me. Would have to wait and see what vet says, and if it grows. At the moment it looks like something we had in a few does a couple of years back - just a small, pea sized, not tangible lump that would dissappear a bit if pressed,and seemed never to cause problems or grow! :/

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah, it seems to disappear when pressed. I'll see what the vet says, but do you think it's worth holding off on surgery to see if it grows?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down