Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more tumors

4 posters

Go down

more tumors  Empty more tumors

Post by carol Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:18 am

3 of my girls have tumors now i had them at vets last wekend mo iny and miney i new mo had one an i seen the other 2 girls starting 2 get lumps near back legs so i took all 4 to vet i nearly droped wen he told me, he dosent want me 2 let mo go much longer as her one is hugh on one side an is going from front leg right down 2 back legs i told him she still getting around but he said im letting her suffer and the other 2 are heading same way he told me 2 look at there eyes an minys wer half closed he said that cos she in pain ,but i still brought my 4 girls home with me i cant get used 2 the idea that 3 have 2 go wat do i do my girls are a year an 6 months old

carol

Back to top Go down

more tumors  Empty Re: more tumors

Post by Zoundz Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 pm

At those ages, unless the lumps are in a very odd place, I would definitely try and get removed - they're too young not to try.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Like Laura said, suggest surgery if this is a possibility. If not, ask your vet about palliative care in form of pain relief providing they are still able to eat, drink and get around. But, and I know this sounds so difficult, pretty much all of us have been there on this forum, if your vet feels that surgery is not an option and when the time comes that he is unable to relieve their pain, then euthanasia may well be the kindest route to go down. I know how horrible it is to let them go, and only you can make the decision but think always about what is best for them and living in pain is no life at all. As I said, speak to vet again about surgery or palliative care. I'm so sorry you're in this awful position. x
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 am

if u look at pics of mo u can see her lumps stickin out on her right side she looks hugh with it an she has another 1 on far side her front legs look tiny as she so swollen lookin , the other girls lumps starting round same place iv an app sat mornin with a diffrent vet see wat she says there no way id be able 2 let 3 go at same time ,they not goin around as much as they used 2 an staying at end of cage so im goin 2 get a smaller cage il swap my hugh cage 4 smaller if any one has 1

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 am

there are pics of my girls in the ur rat section an u can see mo tumor on her sides

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:04 am

had the girls at the vet this morning why do vets use such big words that a common woman like me cant understand Roll Eyes Roll Eyes any way the up date is that she dosent no how mo is still going the poor girl has 4 lumps in diffrent places an they are hugh she says the best i can do 4 her is have her pts as she cant op on her and miny lump is attached 2 some big word she used but it attached 2 wer she gos loo from an 2 dangrous 2 opp on her an she is in pain so she wants me 2 put her 2 sleep as well iny lump is not a tumor so she goin 2 remove it during the week she waned 2 keep the 2 sick girls but i said no i need time 2 get used 2 the idea an say bye 2 them this is hard she said longer i leave them the worse they will suffer she gave them pain relief an said it wont last , but they still look happy 2 me Sad Sad Sad

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:41 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, Carol :'( *hug* You know your girls the best and only you can make the decision, as Gillian said.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:59 am

my earler post i wrote that miny an mo wer the 2 girls with tumors but it actually iny an mo , that are sick mo is going around an dosent seem 2 be a bother on her but earler 2 day iny took a turn an she now walking 2 one side seems 2 be dragin her self around an tryin 2 eat the other 3 are pickin on her all day my heart breakin lookin at her but i dont want 2 seprate her from them i can see she in pain looks like a day of tears 2moro as well as a nite of them 2 nite its so hard 2 let them go but i cant leave her much longer like this Sad Sad

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 am

Cry Cry Cry
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am

I'm so sorry. It really is the worst feeling. Let us know what you decide to do. x
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:25 am

i got 2 the vet this afternoon an couldent do it an brought the girls home again mo is eating fine but poor iny is struggling 2 eat an walk she was always the trouble maker she would get up 2 all kinds an even let her self out of the cage i cant belive it her who just in a matter of days became so ill think that why its hard i no i have 2 do it just need 2 prepare my self

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am

There are different opinions on euthanasia. Some people prefer not to euthanise and let their pet pass naturally. For myself, when the quality of life is gone or when they are in pain I can't control, I prefer to euthanise to prevent unnecessary suffering. In addition, through euthanasia I get to be with my pet when they pass and it really is a very peaceful end. I have had 2 rats and 1 hamster euthanised and all were very peaceful ends. My pets were first sedated via gas and then injected. None knew anything other than they felt a bit sleepy and nodded off. But don't feel badly that you find it hard to say goodbye. It really is an awful position to be in and they are your rats so it is your choice. Keep us updated and we are here for you whatever you decide.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 am

thanks gillian its so sad watchin iny tryin 2 walk her eyes half closed as if she in pain she cant hold food in her little hands any more an she tryin 2 nibble on it , but mo has 4 hugh lumps an she geting around she has them ages an they dont seem 2 bother her im afraid she will just pop she that swolen ,iny just went down hill in a week i wasent expcting it at all i thought her lump would just grow like mos an not bother her its like she had a stroke draging her self on one side, omg im being cruel 2 her lettin her suffer like this i sware no more pets 4 me cant handle loosing them i still cry over my dane i lost this year now 2 of my rattys have 2 go as well Cry

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am

It was the same with my rats. Both my rats who passed also had tumours. One took bad pneumonia and vet could also feel a tumour on her so had her put to sleep as she could hardly lift her little head. The second was my Blanche who I loved so so much. She took an aggressive tumour on the right side of her face which after a week abscessed. Although she was able to get around and eat/drink (although with some difficulty) I decided to euthanise as she was undoubted in pain, and administering the medication was very upsetting and difficult for both myself and for Blanche. I hated having her put to sleep for she was my darling as anyone on this forum would tell you. I had to get it done at 2am and so call the out of hours vet as in trying to administer meds she began to squeal and her abscess burst. I couldn't bear my Blanche suffering so I got it done immediately I made the decision. I decided I would rather she was at peace and with her sister. I had both my rats privately cremated and their ashes are kept by my bedside next to each other. I miss my Blanche every day but I believe I did what was best for her. The only thing I can say is what you already know in your heart - Your little angels will pass whether you are ready for them to do so or not. You will not be any more ready to say goodbye next week than you will today. Its not something anyone does because they are ready to say goodbye. :-( Thats what makes it so hard to do.

From what you say it sounds like they are dying honey, and you will need to say goodbye very soon. Although it is always your choice, it does sound like they are suffering and Iny in particular will probably not be able to get the food and water into her system she needs. The only thing I can say is not euthanising will not save their lives. I'm so very very sorry. I do understand how horrible this is and you must be breaking your heart tonight x

This is a little poem which I hope will help IF you choose to make the decision to euthanise.

If It Should Be....

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle can`t be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
Don`t let your grief then stay your hand
For this day, more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stands the test.

We`ve had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears.
Would you want me to suffer? So
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they`ll tend
Only stay with me until the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
It is a kindness that you do to me
Although my tail it`s last has waved
From pain and suffering I have been saved