Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spaying

4 posters

Go down

Spaying Empty Spaying

Post by smokierat Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 am

Its looking like my girl ghostie is going to need to be spayed,she has suffered from bleeding on and off and has had one lump removed,and has one currently...she is 20 months and in otherwise good condition.i had had the debate with myself when they were younger,but decided against it an an elective thing.Ive had experience with Noodles being neutured,and 2 lump removals but this would be the first spay,and obviously a more invasive procedure.Anyway,i would really appreciate hearing anyone elses experiences whos been through this with any of their girls Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Spaying Empty Re: Spaying

Post by katherine Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 am

On a tangent, I found those reagent strips Roll Eyes if you want to borrow them you can any time.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 am

Ah thanks,will let you know if we will be heading to the shop or something Smile on another tangent,i love your new profile picture!

smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks Smile I love yours too
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks,thought id better actually use a picture of the gorgeous girl that inspired my username Laugh
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Aww - I have no real advice to offer - luckily I've never had to have a spay done - but we're sending healing vibes her way! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks laura Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 am

Eoghan wants to know where you got the koala bear (ie the new profile pic) Laugh
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:40 am

I have no advice to give, but I really hope it goes well for you guys.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks redrach Smile am trying to sort something out now,hopefully sooner rather than later but we'll see how easy it is to get enough time off work..i shall relay the supportive messages to the lady herself Wink
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:31 am

So Ghostie had her spay done yesterday morning,shes home with us now and the vet said it went well.we're keeping a close eye on her,shes eating and drinking and eager enough to come out of the cage,but sleeping/dozing away quite a bit which i would expect.Didnt want to disturb her too much yesterday,so did a proper clean out of the cage just there and gave her some treats Grin
i noticed some pale red spotting on the tissue that looks like its been there since yesterday Meh have taken her out and had a proper look at the incision and everything and dont see any obvious bleeding,so im hoping its nothing to worry about..ive also noticed that her poops are quite small and dark Embarrassed anyway,i just thought that id update,see if anyone has anything to add Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 am

Oh yeah,i also noticed her sides seemed quite sucked in yesterday which im thinking could be cramps or pain(something ive read about) noticed it again today but less so,the vet gave her pain relief before we took her home but said she didnt need to take anything home but i spose i can always give her kids ibuprofen if i need to...
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 am

Glad it went well Smile I have all my fingers crossed for her. Bertie had quite a bit of blood on his towel after his neuter and the vet said not to worry, he'd just been moving and agitated the incision, so I'm sure that's all it is with Ghostie. I'm sure she'll recover well, I know you're doing all you can to make her comfortable Smile
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks Katherine Wink reassurance is always nice Smile shes in the fluffy octopus,which i have padded with towels and pillow cases and ive got a lukewarm hot water bottle under one side of the cage,treats that she doesnt have to protect from the others Smile im wondering when i can give her a friend,maybe in a few days all going well even if just for a few hours..for how long would you thinkid need to keep an eye on the heat aspect,i would have thought a day or two but the vet thought a lot longer,im just conscious of overheating which is why i only have it under one side of the cage
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:06 am

I say do as the vet advises, but keep it on one side, as you say, so that she can escape it if she doesn't like it. If you see her always on the other side of the cage, chances are she doesn't need/want it. As for friends, I personally would wait until the incision begins to knit, a few days I'd say, but I don't claim to be an expert Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum