Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rats for Adoption

4 posters

Go down

Rats for Adoption Empty Rats for Adoption

Post by Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:10 am

Hi Ratty people! It's nice to be here thanks to Laura Woods for introducing me to the forum Smile

I run a Rodent Sanctuary that takes in unwanted, abandoned and rescued smallies. I currently have 3 beautiful Rats.

Maverick and Goose are a bonded pair that will require a home with a female owner, as Maverick (agouti) is frightened of men. It is unknown as to why. They are both healthy and are approx 1.5 years old. They are both quite nervous so will require an owner who is used to handling Rats and to help bring them on more. An adoption fee is required for the pair.
Rats for Adoption Img_5010
Rats for Adoption Img_5011

Stewart is a stunning 3 month old, Champagne coated Rat who is very social and used to being handled. He is also very healthy and active. An adoption fee applies for Stewart. Please inbox me or visit Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary on Facebook for more details.

Rats for Adoption Img_5012
Rats for Adoption Img_5013
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary

http://www.rodentrescueirl.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Rats for Adoption Empty Re: Rats for Adoption

Post by Francois Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 am

Cant wait to meet Steward, he looks gorgeous!

but the question remains, does he like castles? We force our ratties to play in castles, digging boxes and in the summertime, swimming pools and camping trips!

Rats for Adoption IMG_6497

Rats for Adoption IMG_6541

Rats for Adoption Th_VIDEO0015

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 am

Hiya Francois, haha that is amazing!! Sounds like so much fun. I LOVE your black Rat by the way, I've actually never come across one in Ireland so I cannot wait to meet him. Oh just a quick question, would you be ok to come by on Monday at 1pm? It's just that I have to go somewhere on Sunday. Sorry about that, but let me know if that'd suit :-)
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 am

The black one is Doodles, he's not totally black, he's somewhere between an Irish and Berkeshire. We called him Doodles because he has a little white doodle on his chest. It actually looks like a little lightning bolt, so Maybe we should have called him Harry (Potter)

His other cage mate would is a roan
Here the 2 boys together:
Rats for Adoption Rattybigidiot

1 O'Clock is fine with us, see you then.

Don't worry about the intro if they get a bit nervous around each other (I'll dab then with vanilla essence, that usually takes the edge off) I hope you don't mind I give Steward a quick check that he isn't sneezing or such (just being careful for my boys)

The real intro may take a few days, but from the first react I can have a good indication whether it will work or not. Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 am

so jealous of you! Wink i have a soft spot for red/pink eyed rats. Love Love
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:58 am

Super Francois. Yes of course, feel free to check him over fully for yourself, It's always best to be sure that he isn't carrying anything before introducing him to your 2. I would never advertise an animal for adoption if it was ill or just wasn't fit for adoption just yet so he is 100% healthy Smile See you Monday
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about quarantine, unless you can quarantine in a different house and strip shower between all interactions, there's a good chance anything being carried by one will pass to the other Smile He needs company, I'd just intro them and roll with the punches - chance of a virus are slim,and in any case you can't tell whether any of them are carrying a virus by looking at them usually.

Best of luck, hope it works out OK! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 am

Well, Stuwart has a new home! The missus, Sunshine and Doodles went along to meet Stuart and we all agreed he's a welcome addition to the family. As a first intro on neutral ground, things went very well with nu huffing. puffing or squeaking. We took Stuart home in a separate carrier and once home we set all 3 of them in the castle. There was a bit of squeaking an poofing, but it all ended up in a big fluffy pile of cuteness. Meanwhile I gave the boys cage and toys a thorough clean and disinfect. Now they are exploring the new set up and it's going very well.

Stuart's new home:
Rats for Adoption Temporary_zpsb7bc50fc

Doodles showing Steward around:
Rats for Adoption Temporary_zps24e0d13b

Sunshine and Steward checking out the chalet
Rats for Adoption Temporary_zps991aa448

One thing I noticed already: Steward is no push over! We often wondered why Sunshine is so patient with Doodles as Doodles has this tendency to force groom. Sunshine usually lets Doodles get away with it (and sometimes is fed up and sends him squeaking and running Laugh )

Steward being friendly and all is definitely not putting up with Doodles malarkey!
This is about 1 millisecond before Steward lets Doodles know that he can go too far Big Grin

Rats for Adoption Temporary_zps6b08a343

Anyways, Steward loves the castle and all his new toys and it seems they will get along swimmingly (as long Doodles behaves Smile )

It will be interesting to see what happens when its Bubbles' turn to free roam tonight, and she will always visit the boys cage to huff at them and try to bite their feet and steal their food. Will Bubbles lay down the house rules on Steward, or will Steward make a stand?

Tune in next week for the final conclusion!

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 am

what a great outcome for stewart! i am so happy for him. so many rats are looking for homes lately.Sad
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:29 am

There is something very gratifying in getting a rescue in Smile

Sadly enough, we know we will have to say goodbye to one of our girls soon, as she is diagnosed with PT...

But that means we will need to get a new cage mate for Bubbles, so hopefully we can find a rescue girl.

As all our cages are big three level cages we have plenty of room for more Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 am

Fantastic Franky, I am LOVING these pictures. Doddles and Stewart really hit it off, they were so happy together and almost inseparable too. This is the best adoption and outcome that I've ever had, I am delighted for yet another very successful adoption. Happy days!!
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary
Sarah's Rodent Sanctuary

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 am

Right now, the boys are all on the couch, free ranging. Doodles really seems to be eaber to make a close bond with Steward, who is still taking in all this mad stuff in our rat/living room. Sunshine and Steward seem to gotten to a stand-off of tolerance, but understandably, Sunshine has some issues with strange new rats (intro with Jack didn't go well) but doesn't take an aggressive stance.

They are all a bunch of hippies when I look at it Smile Both Sunshine and Doodles are a bit scardy rats for leaving the couch, but Steward is a real explorer, so I think the the addition of Steward will show the way for Doodles and Sunshine.

In reverse, I think that Doodles and Sunshine convinced Steward that the humans in the house can be trusted. Steward was a bit reluctant to leave the cage to get on my shoulder, but as soon Sunshine and Doodles happily got on, Steward followed. Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down