Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange leison

3 posters

Go down

Strange leison Empty Strange leison

Post by Tribble Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:10 am

Hey guys, sorry for my absence (have been terribly busy) but I have a question before we decide to drag Rocksteady out to the vet.
We've just noticed a small lesion, almost a perfect circle, about 4 or 5mm diameter mid-way and mid-height along his left flank.
He is in a wonderful mood, licky, snuffly and cuddly, and barely even noticed us poking around near the 'wound'.

It isn't deep, and appears to be healing, or at least crusted over. I only noticed it when I saw a flash of pink on his side when fawning over him.
He hasn't given any signs of distress, even with the two other lads crawling all over him and causing trouble as usual.
In fact, he's become a bit bossier, reigning in their new energy Tongue

We just want to check in if there should be any cause for concern, because we aren't experts by any standard, and don't want to ignore anything.
We aren't concerned as it stands, as it isn't weeping, swollen or distressing him... maybe he just scratched too vigorously one day?
Any comments and advice greatly appreciated, attaching two photos as well just to help with that.

Strange leison Imag0310

Strange leison Imag0311

(edited to space out the images properly)

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Strange leison Empty Re: Strange leison

Post by Zoundz Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Ugh - looks like Staph to me... Sad Would have to see it personally to be 100% sure though. Not much you can do re. vet attention anyway. If you like, and if I can find the time, I'll pop up and look him over and bring some hibiscrub to clean it. Sometimes it can go very bad - we're caring for a girl that a pet owner was on the verge of put to sleep here - she's been months healing already and has improved, but it's still very much there (and still bigger than Rocky's).

The good thing is that breeder rats do tend to recover from it much quicker than pet shop or rescue rats Smile so hopefulyl a couple of weeks with bathing in hibiscrub and perhaps a bit of cream, will help. Will chat to Karl and see if we can get up to you soon enough. Failing that - perhaps Grace could pop over, I know she may not recognise it as staph for sure, but she can bring some hibiscrub for you, as she's over at mine tomorrow anyway Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Brilliant, thanks so much Laura.
Would be great to see you, but I know you're massively busy with your own stuff.
As long as Rocky gets treated, that's the main thing Smile

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Would be glad to help if i can Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:56 am

OK - Grace, I'll give you some Hibiscrub to take back up (if I can find something to put it in! XD), and if you get the chance either to pop out to Jack and Ben, or perhaps they can get to you? It's not too far, from memory? Smile

Basically guys, you need to bathe the wound in slightly dilute hibiscrub, do it a couple of times over a couple of days, and then leave it alone, perhaps even put a dab of savlon on it too - if no improvement, let me know, and I'll come up and have a look Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:36 am

Sounds like a plan Smile if it suits you guys
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Of course it's no problem either was, as long as he gets treated Smile

Update on his condition;
Still happy and snuffly, eating and loving his treats.
The lesion seemed to have been slowly getting better. It had scabbed over completely, but he scratched that off I think... ugh... children Tongue
Now you can clearly see the wound, but it has a film of whatever little recovery had happened.

I'm so glad for the help Laura, really; and Grace, I'll PM you with details.

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 am

Do - I've sent Grace the hibiscrub, so it's just a question of you guys arranging to meet. Be careful though, this can be contagious to people too - though not usually in this form Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 am

Just thought I'd update, since I was doing all the vet realted malarky today anyway.
He had healed before we got our hands on the Hibiscrub, the little git Laugh
By the next day after getting it, there was no wound, and two days later there was enough hair to cover the bald patch.
You'd never even know it was there the day after that.

They do love messing with us don't they Tongue

I'm so happy for all the help guys, really, you really put us at ease... and now we have something for next time, hah.

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed May 08, 2013 4:44 am

No problem at all - hibiscrub is one of those things I am *never* without - it's really really good, for cleaning as well, I use it to wash my hands between handling if I think I've a sick animal and I don't want anything passing around Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 am

Thats great to hear Smile
smokierat
smokierat