Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rat Books....

3 posters

Go down

Rat Books.... Empty Rat Books....

Post by DJF Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:57 am

What rat related books would you recommend?

I have read a few and most are rubbish to say the least (those flimsy pet manuals). I am particularly interested in behaviour and training and enjoyed/benefitted from Debbie Ducommun's 'The Complete Guide to Rat Training' and Miriam Fields-Babineau's 'Rat Training'. On a more general note, Karen
Pryor, the populariser and expert on clicker training is an excellent writer. She explains principles of behaviour very clearly. I would recommend 'Don't Shoot the Dog' and 'Reaching the Animal Mind'.

I stumbled across a book (free on iBooks and so I guess off copyright and probably also in Project Gutenberg) by a rat catcher called Ike Matthews. The book, 'Full Revelations of a Professional Rat Catcher' is a fascinating view of life with rats in a different era.

I am looking for texts on rat behaviour, rat biology, especially genetics. I am a geneticist myself (well, 3rd year PhD) and although I can trawl pubmed, I would like a solid reference to begin with. Any suggestions?

I intend to get my hands on 'The Scuttling Gourmet' and 'Diseases of the Fancy Rat' when I put through my NFRS membership with next months pay check. Are these worth it? Is Pro-Rat-A any good? Do you recommend the magazines from any other rat club?

On a fun note, just read my first Terry Pratchett book. Of course it was 'The Amazing Maurice...'. It was great fun! I need to read all his stuff now. He is rather mischievous! I want a runty but philosophical buck a la Dangerousbeans!

Any recommendations you have for books, magazines etc. please feel free to suggest, comment on, critique, etc.

Last edited by DJF on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Rat Books.... Empty Re: Rat Books....

Post by Zoundz Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:09 am

Yes, I absolutely recommend joining the NFRS, and Pro Rata is excellent (most of the time! Smile ) - the NFRS forum is invaluable too, some of us on here are members there as well (Lew, Katherine, Grace, myself...) and it's more than worth the money! Smile

There was a book by a man called Roy Robinson - Genetics Of The Norway Rat - I belive some is outdated, but it's still often recommended. I've never read it personally.

I was loaned a book about rats in science, The Lab Rat Chronicles and I must return it to Aisling! Embarrassed Embarrassed

Willard too! Grin that's entertaining Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 am

There are some really crap books out there arent there Roll Eyes I would recommend joining the NFRS-definatly, ive found it brilliant as well as the Diseases of the fancy rat book.Scuttling Gourmet is brilliant too,and the Lab Rat Chronicles is interesting.I liked the rat training book by Debbie Ducommun too but i have to admit i havent reaf it all or actually tried anything.i also have her book Rats but cant remember much about it,read it ages ago when i first got it.I also have some really bad ones!
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:31 am

Just saw the other thread on rat books:

https://irishratclub.forumotion.com/t173-rat-books

Good suggestions there!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie