Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scabs and hairloss

3 posters

Go down

Scabs and hairloss Empty Scabs and hairloss

Post by Rizzo Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:16 am

Vince has a few scabs and his coat looks very bad in the last week. I'm sure it's due to mites so washed him and used a mite spray (just sprayed it onto my hands, rubbed it in to his fur and then dried him with a towel, still no change. I've never had this issue with any other rats. Could it be allergies to bedding, Food etc.........?
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Scabs and hairloss Empty Re: Scabs and hairloss

Post by Zoundz Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm

It probably is mites, mite spray never ever works. You need to dose him (and probably any others at the same time - doesn't hurt).

I highly recommend using puppy Stronghold (Selamectin), which you can buy online I *think* - but you may need to see your vet and ask for some. Also, get an insulin syringe and needle, and give 2-3 drops from the insulin needle. You do NOT want to overdose if you can help it - that's why the needle - do NOT put the needle close enough to the skin for it to pierce if he struggles or similar. Helps if there's two people, one to hold and another to part the fur and drop the treatment onto the skin. Keep the rats separate for half an hour or so while it sinks in properly.

Give me a shout if you need more help Smile Which lad is Vince? Is he the silver? Silvers can be more prone to skin conditions, but you need to rule parasites out first. In 99% of cases, it's mites.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 am

Yeah Vince is the silver. I will try and get some tomorrow. I'll look online if I can't get it from my vet. He really dislikes being washed so this sounds a bit more pleasant for him. Thanks a million for the advice Grin 
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 pm

No problem! Smile Hopefully you can get some - but itcan be a bit awkward to get hold of. Let us know how you get on!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am

JUst an update. Got to the vets Today as It's the first day in 2 weeks I've finished work at a reasonable hour. I put it on the skin on the back of their necks and let it work in. Well fingers crossed it works. Is there anything I can give them to rejuvinate their coats as Vinces coat is quite dull and patchy. So hope this works Confused 
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 am

A bit of extra oil in their diet will help if their skin is dry and coats are dull. I drizzle hemp oil over their fresh foods and they love it but olive oil is just as good and they also like it.

Oily fish like sardines are good too.

Perhaps wiping them over with unperfumed baby wipes will also help with any dryness.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 am

Excellent. will do that. Anything to get them back to their adorable little selves Smile. Thanks a mill:D 
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Not sure about the baby wipes, it may strip the coat of oils even further. Hopefully when the mites have gone, the coat will come back a bit. I woud drizzle some extra virgin olive oil into their food though. Seaweed is good too. Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am

Gave them olive oil on their food last night and today. Glad to see they're not scratching for the first time in a week. Sent my O.H to tesco today to get sardines and he forgot😢 , so i'll have to get some tomorrow. For the meantime I will stick with the olive oil, making them a salad with pine nuts, lettuce, tomatoes and Curly cale. They'll be thrilled Smile. Thanks for the advice.
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum