Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so how many pets do you have?

+8
GillianK
Abdou
Rizzo
smokierat
katherine
Zoundz
Catz
redrach
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 Empty Re: so how many pets do you have?

Post by Zoundz Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 am

We should so have a dog show meet up! Grin Why ever not? I have lots of doggy friends too - and will probably be going to a few shows this year Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:44 am

Sounds fantastic! Def up for that! :-) I love shows!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:14 am

ooh doggie shows sound good Smile dont have any myself at the moment Sad but adore them and would jump at the oppertunity to coo over other peoples!Laura those doggies are gorgeous Grin my only knowledge of breeding comes from my aunt who is breeding rough collies in a small way,and the stuff she told me,particularly about cavaliers actually absolutely broke my heart!its a world away from what genuine dog loving breeders are doing,and people need to get all the facts before they jump to conclusions and tar them all with the same brush!
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Currently myself and my daughter have 2 dogs, Oliver the Tibetan terrier age almost 4 (and mad as ever), Tiffi the Lhasa Apso aged 3 next month.
2 Cats, Jake aged 11 around now (we got him and his brother Harry who passed away a few years back, through a rescue at about 8 weeks late June so figure his birthday is around now), he's a big lazy ginger cuddle monster.
And Toby age unknown but about 6 or 7 our vet thinks, we adopted him as an adult 3 years back and he is mad, lovely and friendly but mad!
And now little rat Luna aged 9 weeks, and hopefully a friend or two soon.

As a child/teen we kept gerbils, rats, guineas, rabbits, dogs and cats (my dads cat passed away at 19 just over a year ago and was the last kitty that came to the house while I was still there.
Not to forget the fish, all gold fish in a pond Tiddly widdly my dad won for me at a fair aged 3 and he lived to 24, with many other fishy friends.
Also have minded (in my teens) chinchillas and grass snakes, as well as all of the above.

I miss all the small furies but up until quite recently wasn't in the position to have any.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:52 pm

How have I missed this whole page?? Gillian and Laura, such lovely pics Love Good on you Gillian for working on the health issues of these lovely little guys! This thread should have more pics actually! Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am

I'm nearly afraid to say this but I'm a big fan of pedigree dogs exposed, I think it did a lot of good in highlighting difficulties with dog breeds and in highlighting unethical behaviour by a few people which otherwise wouldn't have come to light: you can't make people care about dog welfare, but you can make it inexpedient for them to do so so publicly. I doubt we'd have the vet checks at crufts without that show- but that's a whole 'nother can of worms! In fairness to her she always makes an effort to showcase those breeders or groups who are doing well, and there are a number of dog breeders who would post regularly on her blog. The points she made did need to be made.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2012/04/dachshund-breed-council-job-well-done.html

There are 3 family dogs here, including a westie who's currently hindering my typing efforts by licking my hands, and a cat. We did have chickens, and they get amazingly tame. Especially bantams and bog-standard red hen mutts, for some reason.

For the CKCS owners out there, there's a question I've been wondering about for a while: is there actually such a thing as a bad-tempered 'cav'? Big Grin

Pets I would like: well, I'm on rat forums, so no prizes for guessing. That, and more chickens. And maybe a little old rescue staffie (something about those puppy-like heads gets me).

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 am

aw I love staffies Love

I enjoyed the pedigree dogs exposed thing, I think some good issues were highlighted. Having said that it also made me very angry and a lot of total bs was flung about. I think it's a great thing to watch, but not as an introduction to pedigree dogs. I was actually asked to show it to some of my students last week and was pausing it every 5 minutes to say "what you have to remember is...." and "That's very opinion based..." Laugh
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:51 am

Oh, I like this thread. Shocked

Well, as stated in this thread I have a 5 year old chocolate labrador called Baby, a 3 year old tortie cat called Ethel but we call her Effy and an almost 2 year old ginger tom cat called Findlay Wilder Reid, as well as my two new little ratty girlies Sybil and Edith. My sister has an African land snail called Gary that we've had for a couple of years and we also have a family dog called Gracie who is a Shih Tzu, she'll be 14 this Christmas.

In the past we've also had hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, rats and a budgie.
We also had a couple of dogs we couldn't keep for various reasons. And I had a cat called Muffin that I had for ten years, but he ran away when we moved house. Sad

As for animals I'd like, I'd love a ferret but I've heard some horror stories about them so I'd be a little scared of getting a mean one. I'd also love a lap dog, such as a Papillon (I'm a sucker for cute big ears!), though other dog breeds I'd love but are a little more far fetched are Great Danes and Newfoundlands. Though that probs won't happen as I can't even walk my Labrador myself. In a perfect world I'd love chickens, ducks or a snake but as I can't look after them myself I probs never will. Lottsa other animals that I'd like, but I think so long as I can have my ratties and cats and at least 1 dog, I'll be happy!
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 am

Never be afraid to state your opinions Simba! Grin We all differ on many things, and we don't argue, just live and let live. I personally found PDE to be extremely biased, unfair and it did vast amounts of damage to good breeders. If she had focused on the *real* problem breeders, instead of nitpicking over good breeders and healthy breeds then I mightn't have minded so much - but I have to say I find her utterly offensive as a human - and I think her blog is dreadful!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:56 am

But that would be the problem- no-one thinks of themselves as the 'real' problem breeders. I've heard dog fighters shaking their heads at those byb yobs producing dogs of poor temperament and health ("They don't even mind their dogs properly!"), and you can hear English bulldog breeders talking about their 'very healthy' dogs (under 7 years average lifespan from the KC's survey).

To my mind those people who are most reputable, most recognised and famous, should be held to the same standards as everyone else or perhaps even higher ones. When you have that kind of potential for influence on a breed, it's only right that people examine carefully what you're doing. If Wyndlair Avalanche was being advertised for stud on donedeal everyone would be horrified at the idea of purposefully breeding a dog like that.

I didn't think it had the best presentation but that naturally follows in documentaries because of the limited space and the need to make everything 'interesting'. I didn't see anything in it that did damage to good breeders or healthy breeds, and I haven't heard any friends who watched it say anything like that (none particularly dog-savvy people, the kind of people you'd expect to get that impression). Instead it's mostly comments about picking a breed and breeder carefully, lessened desire for more extreme conformation, and asking about "those health test thingies". Better that people know about these issues and focus on them, especially in healthy breeds so we can keep them that way. She showcases good breeders, she nitpicks those with a way to go.

Thank god fancy rats aren't there, though- can you imagine? Do you think the short lifespans will preclude any kind of serious messing-about like that for most fanciers? I'd imagine a rat living 1 year instead of 3 would be a much more obvious discrepancy than a dog who lives 6 years instead of 11.

SaraBloo: a relative kept ferrets as pets as a kid, and she reckons that a lot of 'mean' ferrets are rather poorly-kept/trained/reared ferrets. I know someone who decided on an impulse he wanted a ferret, them being small and easier than a dog. The girlfriend tried to talk him out of it, he laughed at her, and the ferret was up for sale again in a week.
Oh, and your pets have fabulous names. Especially Finlay Wilder Reid.

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:07 am

Yeah. I'm disabled, I'd be worried the ferret would be too hard for me to hold etc and therefore be untame. Rats can be enough of a challenge for me. Actually finding it hard to hand tame my girls at the moment because Edith is so fast I'm scared of her jumping off my wheelchair and losing her in my room. And Sybil is timid, so its hard to get her to willingly come out of the cage.

So yeah, dunno if I could handle a ferret. And thanks. My rabbit that passed away last year was called Padraig Flintoff Harrington and my old rat that I had before getting my girlies was called Gideon Spencer.
When getting new rats I had planned to get boys and name them after Howard and Raj from The Big Bang Theory... But ended up with my girls instead, so named them after two sisters from Downton Abbey.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:25 am

Awh Howard and Raj!
I'm determined to have rats called Sheldon and Leonard Wink
Hand taming pet shop rats can be hard at the best of times, good luck! I find getting them in a jumper is a good way. Or if they're too scared to come out of the cage yet I spend time just sitting with them, talking, getting them used to my presence and voice.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:39 am

Well, I REALLY wanted one called Sheldon but I'm not that fond of Leonard. And Sheldon and nobody else makes as much sense. I like the name Howard and my little sister loves Raj.

And yeah, I think petshop boys can be easier because they're generally more placid and laid back than girls.. But Gideon was still always kinda nervous.

At the moment I tend to just sit at the cage door and they come out now and again, Edith has made a lot of progress.. She runs around my shoulders and up on to my head. Sybil is yet to properly come out by herself. I don't really mind the slow progress and its not like I don't get to interact with them at all.

Slightly worried about them getting out in my room cos I have SO much stuff its hard to get them back. Only had Edith get loose but she just kept running behind stuff. Though they seem to see their carry case as a safe base so I think if I were to leave it in the middle of the floor they'd go into it. Their cage is on a stand so I can reach it in my chair, so they can't get into it themselves.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 am

I have a disabled student who does find it hard to pick up ferrets because they keep running under the wheelchair like it's a climbing frame Laugh Having said that, they would be much easier to recall train than rats, and being chunkier they're easier to grab. It definitely depends on their early rearing, they need to be trained out of biting from day 1.

Simba - I think what Laura is saying is that all breeders got tarred with the same brush by the programme because even though the documentary focussed on bad breeding (though I will say I personally found it to be quite ill informed and opinion based in some areas - that's not to say that some very bad breed standards and breeders weren't shown up because they were), people were going out after seeing it and saying "I wont get a dog from a breeder because all breeders are like the ones I saw on pedigree dogs exposed".

(perhaps we should move this bit to the debate section?)
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 am

Yeah, I think on one hand they could be better and on another hand worse. I spose if it was well enough trained it would be better because of recall training like you've said. Part of the reason my old rat Gideon get so untamed for lifting was the fact he got too big for me to lift, so he wasn't used to it.. but I've never seen a ferret in person so maybe lifting them would be different than a chunky rat.

To be honest, I was always scared of rats biting me.. it's only with my new girls that their nips don't phase me cos I realise they're not trying to hurt me. Gideon would of tried to bite you if he was being a grump, but my girls only nibble. I think the fear is what puts me off ferrets.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:39 am

Ah. I think ferret bites are better than rat bites because their teeth are so sharp you don't feel it as much if you get me (though I certainly don't enjoy it) - but I know people who are a bit nervous after getting bitten by them. The trick lies in not pulling away and giving the ferret a firm tap or flick on the nose with a sharp 'no'. It also helps to know how to pick them up so they can't get you Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 am

I think one thing that put me off was a story my ex told me. He worked at an open farm that had a ferret inclosure and people could go in and pet the ferrets, but they had to be stopped because of one nasty ferret. However a girl that worked there didn't realise and took a family in, and the ferret latched on to a little boy and wouldn't let go. The manager had to break it's neck in the end. Knowing my luck I'd end up with a ferret like that!
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 am

EEK! That is horrific. We have an evil one at work who usually gets me no matter how I get her, but the others are lovely. (and it's funny seeing her get students who go in there screaming and flapping about how they're going to get bitten) Laugh
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 am

Katherine - re. the PDE part of your post above, that is exactly what I meant, thank you for wording it better than me Smile

I can't split topics, I'm rubbish at it! If Lew or you want to have go, feel free XD but otherwise, it's probably OK here as long as it doesn't go off the rails toooo much!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Thu May 10, 2012 8:27 am

Since Katherine said this thread should have more pic's I thought I'd oblige,
the dogs:Tiffi posing on her birthday 7th may (for those Pratchett fans, part of her name is Tiffany on her papers, breeder asked my daughter her favourite character from a book)
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC_0756
and Oliver: at Christmas, tired from playing with his toys, in his usual spot!
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC_0500
The cats:
Toby trying to steal more treats
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC_0557
and Jake at work Big Grin
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC00888-1

And some fun ones
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC_0301

so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC00354-1
and Oliver brushing his teeth
so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 DSC00014
....with MY stolen tooth brush Evil
Hope thats not too many Embarrassed

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 am

Great pictures! What a lovely bunch <3

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 am

Gorgeous Smile no such thing as too many cute pics of pets Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 am

Awesome photos!

The one of the doggy with glasses on made me giggle.
I did the same to my Gracie the other day. Tongue

so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 292521_350993794958037_100001422594514_953247_484000846_n
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Fri May 11, 2012 5:02 am

Lovely pics! The first one is beautiful and your cats are just to doe for Love
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

so how many pets do you have? - Page 2 Empty my animals!

Post by KayleighsSanctuary Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:28 am

I run a sanctuary called kayleighs sanctuary for exotic pets so i have varying degrees of pets! Mostly we have beardies, a few small snakes like corns/milks/king, the occasional awkward animal (blood python called triskles at the moment!) ferrets, frogs, centipede, millipedes, spiders, stick insects and whatever else comes along!

KayleighsSanctuary
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

http://kayleighsexoticpetsanctuary.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2