Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old boy being bullied

3 posters

Go down

Old boy being bullied Empty Old boy being bullied

Post by katherine Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 am

Ishy has always got on with his younger cage mates but this evening I found him at the top of my SRS (he has REALLY bad HLD so I've no idea how he even got there). The food bowl is on the bottom level and the beds on th top are all much higher than he can reach - I designed the bottom to be Ishy friendly and the top for the more active, and the water bottles are at a level that they can only be reached when standing up.

He was huddled in the corner and I lowered a water bottle for him and put a load of food next to him - he had the longest drink so he must have been without water (away from the lower bottles) for ages. I also lowered a hammock which he climbed straight into (with a bit if help from me). I also gave him a cuddle and some nutrical and found he had a wound under his jaw - a largish fresh one

I'm really upset about it - yesterday they were all on the bottom level together and came out of bed together to meet me. Since I've changed the bottom half to be Ishy friendly none of them have moved up into the top at all. Is it normal for bucks to turn on an older boy suddenly? It seems like they're purposefully ostracizing him from all resources - none of mine have ever shown this behaviour before.

I'm going to see how things are tomorrow and keep him separate if things aren't better - he's 2 and a half and he doesn't need this crap Sad 
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Old boy being bullied Empty Re: Old boy being bullied

Post by Videli Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:03 am

I am so sorry to read this Sad

Unfortunately I don't have experience with this kind of behaviour. But I really keep my finger crossed, that they will calm down and go back to normal.
It would be sad to have your old boy allone but certainly better than beeing bullied or attacked.

Get well soon Ishy!
Videli
Videli

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:25 pm

I have to say I've never seen this before either :/ Which boys are living with him? Are you still an NFRS member? You could post on the forum there and see if anyone has any thoughts? :/ I don't know what to advise, apart from, obviously, separating him if he's unhappy Sad 

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 pm

They're all together - Ismbard, Heathcliff, Thornton and him. I let the membership slip I'm afraid - cutting back on everything atm.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 am

Hmm... :/ Perhaps it's something that will pass? :/ hope he'll be OK bless him....

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Well yesterday he and Thornton were snuggling together at the top of the cage with the other 2 at the bottom... there was also a lot of fight noises in the night (once the light goes on they're all so innocent) so now I wonder maybe if Ishy got up there himself to avoid the fighting and couldn't get down again Confused Anyway all seems good for him for the moment
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down