Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head tilt

2 posters

Go down

Head tilt Empty Head tilt

Post by GillianK Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:13 am

My 28-month-old rat Bessie has become ill. She was always a snuffly rat from the day I bought her at 14-months-old but in recent weeks her snuffling has gotten worse. Although I know its not that effective I put a little baytril in her drinking water a fortnight ago but yesterday morning I found her in a bad way. Bessie has developed a pronounced head tilt. Last night it was so bad she kept falling over and I was worried for her life. I gave her a direct dose of baytril and a dose of calpol and held her steady so she could have some creamed rice, although her balance was so bad and she has lost weight so I thought I'd be looking at having her pts today. But this evening I'm happier with her. She continues to have a bad head tilt and of course is still her snuffly self but she is improved. She is able to walk around and not fall over and she is very active so I've just given her another dose of baytril and calpol hoping that this is an ear infection she may recover from. Her late sister Betty had the same problem and lived the last 6 months of her life with a head tilt. Is there anything else I should do to help her recover? I know she's an older lady but I'm very attached to this little one. x
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Head tilt Empty Re: Head tilt

Post by Zoundz Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Steroids and a strong course of antibiotics like synulox (baytril may work).

The stuff in the drinking water is never a good idea for so many reasons - it won't have worked at all - the bugs build up a resistance to antibiotics when they are administered in such low doses (that's why I'd use something other than baytril now), it could turn them off the drinking water... does she live with other rats? As they would also be getting medicated - and the same applies to them, low level bug resistance to baytril - it's never ever a good idea to give baytril in water, better to not give it at all.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:06 am

Yes I agree about the drinking water. I've changed their water now. Yes she lives with 2 other females (also 28 months old) Thank you for advice. I'm hoping she'll pull through and this is an ear infection rather than a stroke or tumour but I'm leaning towards bad ear infection as she is so bright otherwise and has no lumps. However being an older lady I worry about her resistance especially as she already has a chronic respiratory problem which causes her snuffling, and which shes had since I bought her. I'll try to get appointment for a steriod tomorrow at the vets. My vets close at weekends which is a pain.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am

I wish you ever ounce of luck for her Smile let us know how you get on <3 and gentle scritches from us here Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 am

Bessie is still with me. It would seem she has mycoplasma, having always been a snuffly rat. Over last month she has had noisy wheezy breathing and sneezes quite a bit, so there's definitely a respiratory infection there. Her head tilt is now mild but she remains underweight and undercondition.

She was on baytril for a week and improved, the head tilt improved, she no longer rolled and didn't sneeze as much, and she became brighter so 2 days ago I took her off it as was worried about side effects. However today she has gone downhill again.  Although active, she has begun rolling with weakness again, so tonight I've put her back on baytril.

I'm not sure she'll ever completely recover from this but as she remains active and is eating/drinking and as baytril has helped her, I'm going to see if she bounces back.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 am

Sounds like you're doing the right things - sometimes it can take a very aggressive course of antibiotics to heal headtilts - and often they will always be tilty.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down