Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this a suitable hide?

4 posters

Go down

Is this a suitable hide? Empty Is this a suitable hide?

Post by Tribble Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:41 am

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/large-igloo-hideout.htm

Not sure if the dimensions quoted are for the size we have. We got one (well, I convinced Ben that we should get one) when we were expecting our rescues, and in the end when the rescues got delayed, put our current pair in the new cage setup to 'test it out'.
They seem to love it, once they figures out they could go inside, they barely left it. Which brings up my concern. While there are ventilation holes on the top, it seems to develop a lot of condensation on the internal surfaces. I'm concerned for bacterial growth, especially when we are expecting a few more to be using it.

The initial plan of it being a suitable hide, and something to clamber on seems brilliant... but now I'm not so sure.
Anybody have any input on this?

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Is this a suitable hide? Empty Re: Is this a suitable hide?

Post by JinX Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 am

I've had one of those and they did seem to like it. I think the holes in the top should be enough. If you don't trust it you can make some more holes (or an extra exit)
JinX
JinX

http://www.EchteKerels.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 am

I think we have this one!its grand but it does need a wipe down on the inside with kitchen towel maybe every second day...
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 am

I don't have this hide but I do have a Rody Igloo and it does get a lot of condensation. Like Grace said, I find giving it a wipe every other day works fine. My rats haul the entire contents of their cage, paper, straw, toys, food, everything, into their igloo so come day 2 there is hardly room for a rat in there so it needs emptying anyway!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down