Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin show ideas?

+7
Mel
siofradh
Babs
katherine
smokierat
redrach
Zoundz
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dublin show ideas? Empty Dublin show ideas?

Post by Zoundz Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

OK... if we are ever to get a small pet show off the ground, we need some help! Smile That's where you guys come in.

I need someone to find us a venue. Now, since we are just starting out our budget is very very low. We'd ideally like a kitchen with it. A little church/village hall would be fine. Ideally though, we'd commandeer someone's house for a day! Is there anyone near enough to Dublin who has a space they could let us use for a day? I don't think we'll have so many people that it'd be impossible to manage.

As I said, can people get out and look for suitable show venues? I will, meanwhile, try and find something myself.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Dublin show ideas? Empty Re: Dublin show ideas?

Post by redrach Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 am

I'm dead keen, so I'll have a loonk online tomorrow.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 am

Ooh sounds brilliant but cant help obv as im down in Cork...would be so cool though!
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 am

Well, I potentially have some rather exciting offers of judges for us Wink so it would be really good to get something sorted soon! Can anyone Dublin area or outskirts please have a look around for a hall? Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:00 am

is it a secret who these potential judges are? Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:12 am

Not really, but it's all a bit hypothetical at the moment! Smile I don't like dropping names in it until anything's confirmed.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:14 am

I understand, I thought that'd be the only reason for secrecy.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:03 am

Anyone have any luck finding anything?
I found one online, but it's 1/3 of a hall for 40 euro an hour, so prob doesn't suit much.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:30 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked no! That's ridiculous! We used to get a hall for around £35-40 a day!!! Can anyone else look as well? Honestly, we won't be able to have a show unless we have somewhere to hold it!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 am

Found this but there's no cost info. Would anybody closer be able to investigate? http://www.hallshire.com/halls/view/669/rathfarnham-educate-together-national-school as I reckon I'll be working when they're open Wink
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I *think* that's one I got in touch with - they replied the first time saying they're booked out until September, and cost was dependent on what we wanted... then I told them what we needed and asked for the cost, and they've ignored me :/

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

Hey,

I really like this idea. I live in Dublin, and while I would gladly offer up my house as a base camp, we've got three dogs and one of them is a foster who is very large and really wants to eat my rats. I imagine he would think all his Christmases came at once if people all started filing through the door with rats on their person! And there is also the issue of my poor mother.

Most places I know that double as little venues are strictly anti-rat (not animal - they let me bring my dogs, but if I've ever got a rat with me they're suddenly reinforcing the rule like there's no tomorrow!) but there is a place in Swords. I used to bring one of my dogs there for obedience training, but nearby there's The National Show Centre. It might be too expensive, but if it is there are a ton of equestrian and dog training places around there that might allow one of their halls to be used. I can try calling around some of the places I know people at, they might be a little more understanding when I explain it's for rats. Or maybe I could just lie and say they're exotic chinchillas, lol.
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

LOL - well, we need to be clear on what they are - but if you can find out some phone numbers for me, I will happily call places. If you can get a ballpark cost too that'd be great! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 am

Woohoo! First response from one of the places I contacted (the RDS) and predictably, waaaay out of price range. But they're the only place who have replied after I said it was for fancy rats (because doesn't "fancy rat convention" sound so much better than "rat con" ? Laugh

I'm still doing asking around. I never realized how lacking Dublin is in animal friendly venues :O But I refuse to be deterred!
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:17 am

You can just say 'small animal pet show' that might get a few more takers Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Anyone have any luck with venue hunting yet?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 am

Meant to say this aaaaaaages ago, but never got round to it Roll Eyes I'm based in Carlow at the moment, but moving back to Dublin most likely in the next month or two, and you all would be welcome to hold it in my house - it wouldn't be a huge house wherever we'll be living, just a three bedroom. but it wouldn't be a problem keeping cages in mine or my sister's bedroom, so there'd most likely be room Smile Would have to see how many people would be attending to know whether there would be enough space i'd say though. Everyone would have to bring their own cages though because i have only one spare and it's not really set up Sad
what do you all think of this idea anyway? Grin
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:38 pm

It's an interesting idea, and we're very grateful. Nothing to say we can't at some stage, certainly hold a small pet class there, but I think we really will need a decent venue for anything larger. We also want to try and attract interested members of the public, which isn't easy with a house of course, and then there's parking etc.

Grace - hope you're reading this - where was the place Eoghan mentioned? I'll give them a try!
xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 am

How about ringing in a petstore like maxi zoo or petmania? They might be open to the idea seeing as it would be good for business... I know my local petmania has a rescue coming in every other friday trying to rehome through them and on saturdays there's a dog walking club but I'm thinking it's regular there. But if we said we'd like to educate people on pet rats and how they're not discusting and filthy and diseased etc, and not just holding it privately i'm sure it'd be a possibilty Tongue This might be a stupid idea, but i think in theory it sounds pretty good Grin
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 am

Unfortunately, we really don't want to generate trade for petshops that sell animals Wink that's the last thing we want, and again, I think it'd be too busy and too hectic for a show, and probably not enough space without getting in the way of their stock. It's a good idea, and I can see where you're coming from, but for us, it would be a no-no because of the sale of animals thing.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 am

I have contacted the area of the council that runs community centres in Dublin - I'm not hopeful for a favourable response, but we'll see.

Is there anyone here living in Dublin or near enough who could go into local village halls/church halls etc and find out about hire? This show isn't going to happen unless we find a venue for it, and I can't from here!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 am

Okay so I just rang two places - Cabra Parkside Community Centre, they said they'd get onto the manager and let me know, and Ballybough Community Youth and Sports centre, who said that it wouldn't be a problem as long as they were all caged animals and they can't ruin the place Big Grin The guy I was talking to was asking when we'd want to book it for, because they don't have any weekends free for a while so he suggested Friday evenings. Price varies I think for whatever day you're looking to book it for. I'm expecting a call back from him anyhow, so price wise, if it's acceptable, should I go ahead and book it, or will I just pass the number onto you Laura? Smile
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 am

PAss the number on to me would be best Smile We will need to have it on a Sunday realistically, and we don't mind if it's a long way off, we can't realistically do it before the summer anyway, as judges need plenty of notice Smile

If you like, when he phones back, tell him that the rodents will all be caged except for when judging is taking place (we will not be having shoulder rats - however we will probably have a rat PR table). Ask him what a cost would be for a Saturday or a Sunday, and say we're looking for about September to October time if possible. Also, find out what facilities the place has. Kitchens etc? Smile

Let me know costs etc, and then pass me the number, and I'll phone him to book Wink

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:59 am

Number is 222-8584 Smile Will let you know as soon as I get a call back and you can book it. Don't think it has a kitchen though as it's a sports hall, but will ask anyway. Will there be people attending it, other than ourselves? Kids, passers by etc.. If so, we could charge a small admission, to help pay for the cost of the hall Grin
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:37 am

It will be open to all Smile we don't really want to charge admission, hoping to make money on raffles, entries, other activities such as curiosity, agility etc and also kitchen. It's not the end of the world if there's no kitchen, we can bring sandwiches and cakes and crisps and drinks etc.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next