Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement cage

3 posters

Go down

Retirement cage Empty Retirement cage

Post by siofradh Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:02 pm

So grandad rat Bruiser is noticably struggling to get up and down the cage, so I'm looking into getting a big rabbit cage, with perhaps some furplast levels and putting them really close to the base of the cage so he can still enjoy some height, the only thing is all the cages i'm looking at have one inch bar spacing. It's not him getting out I'm worried about, it's my wincy girls getting in. Does anyone have experience with one inch bar spacing, and rats getting in/out? My girls are almost 5 months now, but I think they're small for their age.

And Laura - I've been putting Bruiser into the spare cage everytime he goes for Ludo, but it happens 7+ times before I eventually give up and separate them, and when I do pick him up to put him in the spare cage he squeals the house down and I don't want to stress him out in his old age, so I think just going to put him in with bosco in the new cage I get. I think he'll be grand in with Bruiser, seeing as he really isn't bothered about anything. He'll happily potter around my room for five minutes, or have a cuddle with me, but after that, he gets tired and goes back into his cage so I'm thinking he'll be grand in with Bruiser seeing as he's such a lazy sod Laugh Laugh

I'm looking into getting Ludo a friend too, but will have to have a chat with the Mother before I finalise anything. Wink I suspect I'll be waiting a while though, as I really don't want to go down the petshop route, and don't want any irresponsibly bred rats either, so will have to wait till a lone rescue rat pops up.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Retirement cage Empty Re: Retirement cage

Post by Zoundz Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 pm

I think if Ludo is causing all the trouble then yes, you may be best off separating him on his own and trying to get more friend(s) at another stage, or go back to basics, re-intro the way it's done if the rats had never met Smile

Re. rabbit cages, there have been cases of smaller girls getting in - so I would try and find something with smaller barspacing - smething like a Savic Ruffy or a Ferplast Mary? Not really big enough though :/

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:08 am

Actually, I will try gradually introducing them before I go and get another cage, because I don't want to do something unless it's absolutely necessary.
I might even look into getting some wire to put around the cage if the worst comes to the worst and i end up getting it.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 am

Re the rabbit cage.
I have one (i think rabbit 100?). It's about 1 inch spacing. It's not a problem for my boys, they can't get out and when I use it the girls are in the SRS (or the rabbit cage in a different room) so there's no risk they will get near. However, I had my girls in the rabbit cage when they were 8 months or so and they could get out of it no problem (and therefore also in if they wanted). So I'd also advise smaller bar spacing, having the retirement cage in a different room, or ensuring the girls are in a small spaced cage and not free-ranging in the same room.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down