Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SRS or Critter 3?

4 posters

Go down

SRS or Critter 3? Empty SRS or Critter 3?

Post by katherine Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 am

Gosh it's busy today isn't it? Big Grin

Briefly here's the sitch: I have 3 rat cages: a rabbit cage with the bf boys in in the study, a furet xl with Bertie and Maddi in in my bedroom, and a liberta tower with my Dublin boys in in the shed.

In preparation for the new babies I want to move Forz and Switch out of their rabbit cage (bar spacing is too wide and won't be large enough for 4, also I've kept babies in this cage before and it was a nightmare). I was planning on moving them into the furet, however that means moving Bertie and Maddi into the rabbit cage and he's chewed his way out of one before, plus they've got used to having more space and they're both quite active - they barely get any out time on account of him being a monster Wink so I like them to have an interesting environment.

My original plan was to get a critter 2 and move Bertie and Maddi into it in the study, so I'd have more 1 on 1 time with the babies and to save space (the rabbit cage is very bulky and manages to take up the whole room somehow Laugh ). Then I went searching online and came across the savic srs Love It's very expensive! but... I could partition it to have 2 cages in one, get rid of the furet and have both groups in the bedroom to save space.

To further complicate the issue just as I decided to do that I find a critter 3 on ebay for 50 quid. It's a nice cage, it'd save me putting 2 good cages into retirement, Bertie and Maddi would still be happy and I'd save about £170. But access is a real pain, and Bertie's a nightmare to get out as it is.

So thoughts please, before I go and do something I regret Tongue
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

SRS or Critter 3? Empty Re: SRS or Critter 3?

Post by redrach Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 am

Well, I have the srs and I love it. I paid £260 for mine, and as a student it was a very big decision, but I don't regret it at all. I have girls in the top half and boys in the bottom (plus oldies in a rabbit cage). I love the huge doors as it makes cleaning and changing the layout a lot easier. I can't really think of any problems with it, perhaps if your lot chew they could chew the plastic bases? Mine chew a bit, but have never managed a significant hole, and there's obviously the metal bars between the levels too.

Saying that, i've never had a critter so can't compare. I did have 2 furet plus before the srs and hated them, I found them awkward to clean, change the layouts and hard to get one ratty out because the 'lock' things on the doors were so akward.

ps. what size is your rabbit cage? I'm looking one 95cm+ at the minute if you're getting rid of it.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:19 am

I have a critter 3. Gideon didn't really appreciate it (He was a big boy that didn't really like to explore a cage of that size Lol.) BUT, my girls love it.

I did read some reviews about rust or something? I dunno, I've not had a problem. Also the one I bought was advertised with a door in the middle level but only had a door on the bottom level. So I ended up having to put a door in the middle level.

Overall I think it's a good cage.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 am

I'd happily let you have the rabbit cage, Rache. It's about 100 cm long. It depends on the postage really now I'm back in the UK - would you be happy to pay for that?
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:47 am

That'd be great! I got the one I have sent from the UK and postage was only £20, so hopefully it's around that again.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:56 am

I would throw another idea into the pool - how about an Explorer and get some bases made from the group on Facebook? Will cost much less than an SRS!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 am

But... that's just evil! Tongue Is it better than the srs? I like the idea of the deep tray but you're right it would be cheaper...
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 am

The trays you buy on FB are deep Smile have a look on there, I think I added you to the group a while back? Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 am

Yes you did Smile I need to get some for my Tower actually. The thing is because it's slide out surely they can't be deep all the way round?

Rache, the rabbit cage is 118 cm long
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 am

Awh, thanks anyway Katherine.
I need 95-100cm really because I want it to still fit in the back seat of my car so I can transport then easy if we're going away for the weekend etc.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 am

I don't think they slide as such, you can lift them out, so I think being deep all around wouldn't be a problem! Most people rave about them anyway! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down