Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URGENT! Golden Retriever

+4
katherine
smokierat
Zoundz
shanty
8 posters

Go down

URGENT! Golden Retriever Empty URGENT! Golden Retriever

Post by shanty Thu May 10, 2012 3:43 am

Hey everyone, I'm trying desperately to find a home for a 10 year old Golden Retriever! (yes I know, 10!) He isn't mine, but I've gotten to know him through a friend. The friend's <despicable> dad is getting remarried in 2 weeks and is moving into the new wife's home, which is not suitable for a dog. So, instead of trying to reach a compromise like most normal people would, the man is going to have the lovely Sam put to sleep if he doesn't find a home for him before the wedding!!!!! Cry I just don't know how anybody could live with a dog for 10 years and then just toss him aside when a woman comes along... Evil This makes me angrier than I can express in words!! My friend says his dad just isn't "sentimental" like that... ugh. Anyway, Sam is gorgeous and doesn't need much, just someone to love him for the few years he has left! Can everyone please spread the word, ask your friends, etc. I just can't bear the thought of this beautiful fella being put down when he has done nothing wrong. He's a real family pet, three children have been brought up with him, and all he wants is cuddles and the odd game of fetch... Spread the word, people! Thanks! Smile xx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

URGENT! Golden Retriever Empty Re: URGENT! Golden Retriever

Post by Zoundz Thu May 10, 2012 4:07 am

Ugh - I absolutely hate people like that. Thoughtless gits.

Post on Facebook? I'll share it, I know a good many rescue people, and a few Golden Retriever people too, will spread it around.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 am

Thank you Laura! The more people we can reach, the better. I'm waiting for my friend to send me pics and a video to post on Facebook, hopefully will have them tonight. Thoughtless gits indeed... I just can't fathom it, I really can't! Fingers crossed that between us all we'll find him a loving home xxx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 am

When you do post it, tag me Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu May 10, 2012 4:37 am

Seriously People are just.....¿π§£@!!! Where are they based?
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 am

Ugh! Disgusting Evil Will ask for you
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu May 10, 2012 6:54 am

Where are you based Shanty?
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 am

Will share this around.
Hoping something comes up.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

Sam is here in Dublin, out near Drumcondra... we can help with transport to pretty much anywhere, I just want to see him go to a great home. Thanks so much everyone for putting the feelers out! Smile xxx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Your best bet is rescue - just not SPCA's. Lots of controversy about them lately, so wouldn't trust them myself. Would recommend PAWS based in Mullinahone, Inistioge puppy rescue in Kilkenny, or Dogs' Aid in Finglas. They won't turn a dog down. Far drive to kilkenny and tipperary, but well worth it because they only rehome to five star houses.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 pm

On the flipside of the coin, rescues who only home to what they deem as the very very best may in theory sound nice, but it can mean that dogs don't go to what would otherwise be very deserving and capable homes, and end up in rescue forever Wink We are not the sort of people most rescues would home to... we breed a species, and we don't have an enclosed garden Wink

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I'd have to agree with you there, Many of the rescues won't home to families with children under 7, you must have atleast a six foot fence surrounding your back garden, be at home most of the day, etc. Inistioge would be your best bet shanty, they're pretty chilled out about who they home to, and find homes fairly fast because they don't ask for a huge adoption fee.
Can you only imagine how much stick I got for buying a pedigree cat! Laugh Most of the animal rescue community don't agree with breeding pets full stop, even though they probably don't know anything about the petshop trade. Meh Meh
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Fri May 11, 2012 12:12 am

Yeah, that's one thing that always put me off getting a cat/dog from a rescue. The fact they turn down good homes before whatever boxes aren't ticked. On our local rescue nearly every dog/cat must be rehomed to a home with older children and no other animals. Lol. Though I suppose it makes sense for some dogs/cats that have had a bad start in life. Don't wanna get sued for a dog mauling a child. Lol.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 am

It's a shame, and I do foster for some rescues who are very aware of our garden etc (and also of our knowledge and responsibility Wink ), however I know some rescues won't even let us foster short term with no garden... :/

Also - never understood this thing with being home all day... fine, great in an ideal world, but what about work? Surely you have to work to afford vet bills etc?! There are ways around the dog being left alone all day, but some rescues argue that if you're not in full time work (or rich enough not to have to work) then you can't have a dog, but if you're not home most of the day you can't either... work that out... truth is only about 3 people in the world are actually suitable for a dog from some rescues :/

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really really appreciate it. I'll get in contact with all the people you've suggested! x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerousbeans Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 am

Inistioge puppy rescue would be your best bet, she is incredibly busy and dogs don't generally stay there long. I have seen many older dogs rehomed from there too.
I really don't like to think of the kind of person that would give up (or put down a healthy dog) after 10 years, my heart would break.
I'd love to foster, but I think I'd want to keep them all, nice idea but not really an option.
I'll ask around too, hope the poor old fella gets a nice retirement home.

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 am

Yep and also Inistioge arrange for dogs to go over to the UK regularly, so she probably wouldn't be there for that long at all. Just make it clear to Brenda that it's not your dog! Wink
Our fence is only five foot, don't know how we got away with that lol! Laugh
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down