Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scared all the time!

3 posters

Go down

Scared all the time! Empty Scared all the time!

Post by Syringes Tue May 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi guys, I just want to start off by saying I JUST joined. I recently bought a couple ratties and I needed to find a place to talk to others who are more knowledgeable than myself, just so i can learn a few things and better myself as being a ratty owner! Please, if you have any great tips for rat owners, tell me!

Anyway, onto my question;

I have two rats, one hooded(Astrid) and the other black(Delphine). Astrid is extremely happy, and brave, she doesnt mind snuggling with my family, (I have had them both since they were 8 weeks old, they are about 4 months old now) but.. Delphine will not even move one inch from me. I put them out to play on the floor with a few objects to hide in, and she will run straight back to me. Also, she refuses to come out of her cage unless Astrid does, Delphine is always tense and I just cannot get her to trust me.

The really odd thing is, I was able to teach them both to do a spin for a treat, even Delphine, but she still claws at my arms when I pick her up. Anyone know what I can do?

Syringes

Back to top Go down

Scared all the time! Empty Re: Scared all the time!

Post by Zoundz Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmm - an odd one, it could be that she has pretty extreme neophobia? All rats have some degree of neophobia, it's part of what makes them so successful as a species, but some can be worse than others. All I can suggest really is constantly working with her, one on one if necessary, taking her out and moving her away from you for more prolonged periods of time, feeding her when she's nto on you or in the cage, giving her special treats etc - hopefully it won't take her long to realise that things aren't so bad!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Tue May 29, 2012 10:40 pm

My Dorothy is similar, always rushing back to me and even my Blanche if I put her on the ground will rush to me and try to clamber up to me. They are prey species and therefore always vulnerable. Your rats are still very young and over time will become better in protected areas (Dorothy and Blanche feel happy on the sofa or bed)
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syringes Tue May 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Oh! Thank you so much for replying to me! <3

Thanks for the advice, I will keep trying my best to make her comfortable, I do remember on the couch she would run around, so thats a good sign!

And yea, you're right, Delphine is still really young, all rats have their little differences, Ill just give her more patience then. Smile

Thanks again!

Syringes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down