Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Range Advice.

3 posters

Go down

Free Range Advice. Empty Free Range Advice.

Post by SaraBloo Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 pm

So basically we've had a nightmare of a night! We spent two and a half hours trying to get a stubborn Millie to come out of hiding from places I hadn't considered needed blocking. Silly me, I know. I mean.. Most of the time they come out anyways, but Millie was being particularly stubborn. Which ended up getting me in trouble as my big sister put it because "I let my rats out and now someone has to go in and catch them." (I'm disabled so I can't do it myself.)

Anyways... my little sister was in tears with frustration which I had to sit and watch whilst in tears with fear of being shouted at again, and my dad had threatened he'd make a rule they werent allowed out anymore... even in my own room (Which is where they were).

Anyways, with much drama and pulling out of furniture my little sister FINALLY got her in.

Now my problem is my room is like a box with furniture around every wall, and it's impossible to block off an area for them to free range in and I dunno how I'd block of the things Millie hiding behind/under. (Shelving unit and a wardrobe.) There's basically only enough floor space to wheel my wheelchair one way.

So... I've talked my little sister into swapping rooms with me in a few weeks when our older sister moves to London, because although her room is kinda narrow it's long so I think I'll be able to do a better lay out. I was thinking of maybe making something/having something made to divide the room during free range so they'll only have run of part of the room, the part without wardrobes and shelving units to hide behind. I was wondering has anyone done/made anything like this before? I don't really want to get a play pen as I want to be able to be in the area with them in my wheelchair because its the only out of cage contact I can have as they can get up and down off my wheelchair and don't like to sit still.

So yeah, any ideas?

I don't think I'm gonna be able to free range them again until I get something sorted I feel super mean because I know they need it. If I'm gonna have something made/make something I wanna get the ball rolling asap so it's ready for when I move rooms.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Free Range Advice. Empty Re: Free Range Advice.

Post by Zoundz Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:50 pm

What about bilding a playpen around yourself? Smile If you can get some very tall pieces of wood/board/heavy duty card etc and just position your wheelchair next to your bed? Can they run around on the bed? You see, if you can block off under your bed (if it's a divan type that'll be easier), park up next to it, and then have this 'playpen' around you... from one corner of the bed to the other, with you in a semicircle of the floor? I don't know if you can picture what I mean?

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:03 pm

I agree with the playpen that would be awesome :3 also as for the stubborn try and get them addicted to a particular treat that you don't give often (i have hamster chocs and mine go nuts when they hear the bag rattle they are on my lap in 2seconds flat) so try sometihng like that :3 that would help get them to come out ^^ Grin
Shirodoragon
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 am

Sorry for the slow reply.

I've decided to buy some correx plastic to make a foldable room divide. So it will kinda be like a play pen. My bed is a difficult one because it's a profile bed, so basically to them it's like a giant climbing frame because there's loads of bars and whatnot under. That's how they worked out how to get on to the ground in the first place. Laugh

I think I have a couple of possible lay outs for my sisters room when I move, and I've also persauded them to let me move sooner hopefully. Just got to arrange people to come out and move my bed because it'll have to be taken down etc and my dad will have to take down my sisters bunk beds to move them. Meh

Though if I order the plastic asap, I may be able to make a little pen for them somewhere else for now until I move rooms.

Also, in the end we got her out of a rib bone. Laugh Problem was with her favourite treats, there was already a stash that we couldn't clear from when Edith escaped. Embarrassed
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down