Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a feeding problem?

4 posters

Go down

Is it a feeding problem? Empty Is it a feeding problem?

Post by Shirodoragon Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

So ive noticed one of my rats has started to stink a little (of pee and the sort) she grooms as normal and so on so I thought it may be the diet ? There cage us kept clean though I also changed the bedding not really sure what to do. Bedding changed from wood chips to that recycled paper stuff daily news I think its like. There diet is dog kibbles with parnip and carrot, they get a half slice of ham chopped into it every 3 days (or chicken) and a boiled egg as a treat and fresh lettuce in there salad ball everyday.

Anyway I'm not sure what to do I bathe then once a month too.
Shirodoragon
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Is it a feeding problem? Empty Re: Is it a feeding problem?

Post by Zoundz Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, the food sounds like it might be too high in protein... I'm not sure giving them just dog kibble is too healthy (the other stuff is all pretty standard, though parsnip, IIRC, isn't good raw and is quite sugary - might be wrong though!). It could be something to do with too high protein levels.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:57 am

That is an awful lot of protein, which will probably be causing some smell, as well as not being particularly good for them in the long run. Lettuce is also very high in water content and no doubt will make their poos very smelly. I'd replace the lettuce with curly kale and reduce the dog kibble to a third of their food and replace the rest with low sugar cereals (like shredded wheat, cornflakes and healthy rice based cereal) and add in some pasta or noodles.

Also cut out the ham entirely because it's very salty, and reduce the chicken and egg to a very occasional treat unless they're very young.

I'm sure give it a week and this will reduce the smell. I never bathe mine at all.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah, I remember reading the about shunamite diet as I'm thinking of switching to it and it includes dog kibble. Only 5 to 10% of it is dog kibble and it's the senior or lite kind. I also notice my girls are more smelly depending on the kinda vege I give them.

Also is it possible she's being scent marked or something making her particularly stinky? Mine sometimes pee on each other by accident and sometimes on purpose. Edith seems to get it a lot.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:52 am

Well I read it was good to use dog kibble as the vitimins and so on are better, ill mix it out with cornflakes and see. I thought the diet was ok due to my 3 legged little one being so active she is the alpha o3o I'll fix it today thanks for the advice ladies <3
Shirodoragon
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 am

Are you sure it said dog kibble only? As I know a lot of people use it as part of their diet, but I've not heard of anyone using it as the main bulk. Did you read it online? Just wondering because I'd be interested in reading it myself if you have a link. Trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so I can pretend I know what I'm talking about. Laugh

Also, if you're interested you can find info about the shunamite diet here: http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
Even if you're not wanting to follow the diet yourself, there is other interesting info etc about feeding rats there. I found it helpful. (:
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down