Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Critter Nation v SRS and more

4 posters

Go down

Critter Nation v SRS and more Empty Critter Nation v SRS and more

Post by Diggerdawg Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 am

So I'm battling with myself on what to do about cage! I have my two boys who are just about 17 and 18 weeks old now. Love em!!! I have a Furet Tower Plus - ie the huge double story cage. Two problems with it..... the boys only use the top half! I've put them 'downstairs' lots, fed them there and when they free range they go in and out that way. Alcide can go up the adjoining tunnel but Hoyt seems to only want/be able to go up the tunnel so never goes back down once he's 'upstairs'. Second problem is i'm doing my neck and back...amongst other injuries....cleaning the cage out and spending time with the boys. So I've decided as soon as i can i'd love to get a new cage.

Now I know a cage half the size of what i have would technically still be loads of room for the boys but I love the idea of them having loads of space and using a 'double' size cage. Also, while it's not on the cards now you never know....there might be additions down the line.

So i'm wondering am i just being OTT and silly wanting a double size cage....which financially is going to take longer to afford too? Should i just get a single size rather than double size? I've seen Critter Nation single size on sale and I know I can get the double SRS on zooplus. So what i'm looking for are opinions on that style of cage.

My criteria are: 1) definitely large opening doors at front. 2) Ideally i'd like the bars to be horizontal on the cage so the boys can climb that too. 3) easy to clean!. 4) scope to have the boys climb and to change the interior layout a lot.

I know some of them have better trays/bottoms to keep stuff inside rather than falling out. And i've heard some have plastic bottoms instead of metal?

All opinions, experiences and thoughts gratefully received. Big Grin

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Critter Nation v SRS and more Empty Re: Critter Nation v SRS and more

Post by Diggerdawg Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am

I've just seen a double critter nation for sale now! Thoughts on the toys/pans in these?

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

i think you might have seen my DCN :-) im selling it because im looking to downsize to a smaller cage as it really takes up alot of space AND because im having problems with the girls weeing down the sides. so annoying Angry so being totally honest, an SRS may be the best option for you since you would have to take it apart to clean it in the bath every once in a while as it doesnt have scatter guards. but if you have a hose outside and can easily roll it out every couple of months then it might be ok?!
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Siofradh that was me! Haha. I know the single CN is for sale by somebody on here too (well I think). Thanks so much for your honesty. Thats one of my big concerns about the trays/pans. They are very shallow and even though I use fleece on the base I use lots of other things that get out of the cage even with the Furet Tower! Alcide does like to toilet right against the sides too! Size isnt as issue as the Firefox tower is huge anyway and I have a room for the ratties. Hmmm it's a tough one.

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 pm

you can order replacement bases that are higher up or scatter guards online, but i think you might only get them in the US? :/ and it really is beyond annoying when youve got naughty rats that purposely stick their bums so close to the corners that their wee dribbles down onto the wheels just to annoy their mammy. >Sad( well let me know, id love it to go to someone with rats but needing a new one soonish cos we're moving house soon.
i used to use fleece until i discovered bath mats! a 50x80 bathmat fits the critter nation tray perfectly and its harder for them to rip it up and chew. Grin Grin
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Amazing about bath may idea!! I know, Alcide does exactly the same using his tail for leverage to get his bum against the sides!

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:42 pm

I have a double critter nation and LOVE IT!!!....LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT - so so so easy to clean, really good access....fab cage!!! Laugh Laugh

I have actually put covered the floor with cork tiles, so that when I clean it I just take the cork tiles out of the cage and clean them!! They're sealed so you get a good few months out of them..and the girls can chew them instead of chewing the plastic bases that come with the CN.

Never heard of bath mats though, that sounds like a really good idea *mental note to self, as she goes hunting for bath mats in the next day or two!!

My girls are generally litter trained....so they use a litter tray, but it seems that they tell me when it gets too dirty and needs cleaning as they throw it out of the flippin tray when it needs to be cleaned Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

There is still wee on the floor but its not too bad really!!! Can't really say I've ever had the urge to take it apart to clean it!!.... :-)

The price is also sooo much better than the SRS too!!

Abdou

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 pm

yeah its such a good cage! to be honest its not too bad wiping down the bars every week with babywipes but i still really do need to downsize. i only have the single in use at the minute, and i had six rats in it, two babies being litter-trained, so that might have been the reason for the wee down the sides? Confused Confused
i never heard of the cork tiles thing either fab idea! mine do the same. every two days i empty their litter box out or else it gets kicked out Evil
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

So many factors to think about! Haha.

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Ok so back to original questions. A) is it crazy to want a double story cage for 2 rats? B) if you had a choice whys your favourite cage and why? C) has anybody else had experience of rats not using both levels in a cage?

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 am

Last question. Anyone know where I might be able to see an SRS in person? I'm in Meath but could do surrounding areas. Went to Pet Mania to have a look at the Critter Nation today (single one but still good idea now) and it looks great but I'd just like to see an SRS if I could before making a decision.

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 am

I have an SRS from Zooplus and I love it! Big Grin

I had the Furet Tower and hated cleaning it out so looked around and that's the only place I could find that delivered to Ireland. Its worth the extra money imo for the guards around the base to stop substrate falling out. Setting up toys is no longer a pain in the back either.

Is it crazy to have one for 2 rats? I don't think so, I'm ratless right now but when I eventually get more I'll only have a maximum of 3 in mine.

More space can tempt you to GMR though so beware- that's how I ended up with my group of 11 Wink

Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks a million for the feed back. Have you seen a critter nation in person? Just wondering how you'd compare them? Ya the scatter tray is what I'm liking. Does scatter tray stay upright or does it fold down for cleaning or anything?

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 am

It stays standing but I haven't found it be any trouble when it comes to cleaning. Plus the trays lift out for a proper scrubbing and I just hoover up the bits left over.

I've seen the Critter Nation in Pet Mania but it was a battered second hand one holding degu's and the trays were all chewed up so I didn't get to see it in its proper glory. The SRS seemed more solid to me but then again I'm a bit biased and that particular cage was a mess.

The Critter Nation is cheaper if you can find a place that delivers them but I went for the SRS for laziness sake and Zooplus's free shipping. Smile
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks again. Really helpful feedback. The Srs is actually cheaper at 269 whereas the CN double is 299. Think I've decided now to wait till I can afford it and get the srs. It's my 'favourite' so best to hold out and be happy so not wanting to replace again.

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am

I think you'll be happy with it Smile Looking forward to seeing pictures of your set up!
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down