Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more

3 posters

Go down

HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more Empty HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more

Post by siofradh Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 am

hi all,
been having some trouble with my heart rat bee lately. she is 16 months old, never had any problems with her health until now. it all seems to of come on at once Sad
first, she developed a URI. all the rats were put on baytril, 0.5 ml a day for ten days. i had four then. the baytril didnt do anything and she still seems to be having the same breathing problems but shes lost loads of weight. shes also covered in scabs and losing fur, im wondering could this be an affect of the medication or is it mites? it only happened once she was started on the meds and none of the other rats have it. im also very worried about the weight loss, she has always been a very fat round girly, and to see her skinny is awful. she is still eating and drinking though so im baffled.. Confused
she also seems to be developing HLD, her back legs are dragging slightly and her nails are getting caught in the carpet cos shes not moving them as much. it seems to be getting worse everyday.
but anyhow, i have so many questions i think ill just put them in a list Wink
could the mites be a side effect of the baytril?
is there any meds i can ask the vet for that would almost definetly work?
why is she losing weight yet still eating and drinking?
is there any home remedies i can use for delaying the progress of her HLD?
can i put her on ivermectin if she does have mites along with other medication if she gets more from the vet?
phew, im done! Tongue Tongue
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more Empty Re: HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more

Post by Zoundz Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 am

OK... not sure if I've covered everything, so bear with me and feel free to ask more questions.

The respiratory issues can indeed cause a mite flare up, as the stress on the body would enable them to get a firm hold. She needs Ivermectin or Selamectin for that. Whether you can use that with what meds you're using for otehr stuff I do not know, I]'d need to know what meds first and ask around.

I think trying something other than Baytril would be a good idea - Baytril and Doxycycline combined perhaps? It could be that she's developed pneumonia symptoms... and I would recommend then a triple jab (baytril, dexamethasone and myllophilline).

HLD is probably unrelated, but hard to be sure.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more Empty Re: HLD, URI's, mites, weightloss and more

Post by siofradh Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 am

ok so if i go back to the vets with her should i ask for a 'triple jab' of all three of those meds? and should i keep her away from my other rats for the time being just incase its pneumonia?
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm

No need to keep her from the others, pneumonia isn't contagious.

Yes, triple jab - you may have to explain that it's dexamethasone, baytril and myllophilline. Oooor... if it helps, a steroid, baytril and a bronchodilator. Search for triple jab on here and there should be more info, on doses etc.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I'd say no point in isolating her from the others, if it's something they could catch they would more than likely have it already and the stress of separation on her would be another knock on her immune system.

I hope you find something that helps soon x
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down