Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing the newbie

3 posters

Go down

Introducing the newbie Empty Introducing the newbie

Post by Rizzo Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 am

I was in Equipet the Friday before last and went down to where the bedding and rat food is, out of curiousity I had a look at what pets were for sale. I saw (one) rat Sad . I felt so sorry for him being on his own. He looked so lost and tiny so without hesitation I asked a member of staff could I see him/her. The guy took the rat out and it was so friendly (obiously well used to being handled). I got home and told my B.F about the little rat all alone in a pet shop and he immediately said, we're going back in to collect it so back I went and collected it. the staff were sad to see it go as they had all gotten so attached to the little guy, Him as we soon discovered. He is an absolute beaut and his coat is so soft. Reminds me of my first rat Bernard who was also a pet shop rat. Anyway he's settling in just fine with Neil and I anyway, We have tried to take the three of them out all at once but it's stressful as there is a bit of conflict between Bandit and himself. Vince doesn't seem too botheredIntroducing the newbie 936264_4603247811391_472586403_n. I will continue to be persistent as I do not want a lone rat.Introducing the newbie 946586_4603248451407_646911089_n Anyway only time will tell if they can agree to live together. He is still quite young and a great deal smaller than the older boys so he's a bit stand-offish around them and guarding himselfhttps://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s320x320/936264_4603247811391_472586403_n.jpg. Today we had them out for about 20 minutes and the little guy kept squealing every time Bandit came near him and he was quite hostile with the two of them. Really hoping they'll get used to each other without too much bother.
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Introducing the newbie Empty Re: Introducing the newbie

Post by Zoundz Wed May 01, 2013 11:06 am

I'm sure they'll settle in no time Smile he's sweet <3

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 am

I very much like his markings. Would he be considered a hooded? The stripe on his back looks very thick. Is his colour mink? I can't quite tell from the picture. You say his coat is soft. Is he a satin? @Zoundz - are satins common in Ireland (or is satin a US term?) I am interested in these things. Apologies, I tend to bombard with questions!

I hope he is settling in well for you!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 am

I thought he was a hooded. Not sure why his coat is soft. could be that he is so young at the moment. I've had many rats over the years and none of their coats have ever been this soft and silky. My russian blue has quite a silky coat but a bit more wiry. I had two roans (female) and their coats were soft but they don't compare to this little fellow. As for the mink colour, I do not know because. That's zounds' field of expertise. He's doing fine. Gonna buy the three guys a new bigger cage and hopefully they'll be better aquainted. My heart is in my mouth everytime the new guy squeals. Oh I named him Dougal Smile
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am

Seeing him next to your Russian Blue lad from us, he could be a Russian or Biritish Blue, or he could be a Mink. Hard to say from photos Smile Re. the fur, probably his age - if it's quite fine fur as well and it looks to have quite long guard hairs, it could be a good sign that he's likely not Russian Blue.

Satin is around, I get satins out occasionally, in fact, I have a feeling I just bred a Satin buck to a standard doe here... we shall see if anything comes of that - I'm not sure how it passes on (this particular type) and it's something and nothing to look at anyway. We shall see. Velvet also is a possibility - but that's a lack of guard hairs in general, so he's not a velvet. My guss would be he's not in his full adult buck coat yet - that's why they go wiry Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 am

His coat has brown, not blue. Mot a very good picture. He does look like a blue in the picture. I guessed his coat was only soft because of his age. He's growing so quick Smile. Thanks Laura x
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 am

If he isn't as blue as he looks here, then he could be a mink Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 am

NIce one Smile. Really happy with him, He's an absolute dote.
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down