Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eye Injury

4 posters

Go down

Eye Injury Empty Eye Injury

Post by DJF Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 am

Hi,

Maud, one of my girls, has injured her eye. I have no idea how it happened but it appears to be a corneal abrasion.

She is squinting with the affected eye and is keeping to herself. There is no discharge, apparent cut or any porphyrin staining but she is in obvious discomfort. I have been applying warm compresses which seem to give her some relief.

I am concerned that she may be in quite a bit of pain and was wondering if infant ibuprofen would tide her over the weekend. If so, which brand and how much for a 250-300g rat.

Any other suggestions that may help her are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Eye Injury Empty Re: Eye Injury

Post by DJF Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 am

On further inspection now, the site of the abrasion has turned white, like a small lump of flesh over where the cut occurred. The eye is blood shot but she is now holding it open and is happily frolicking on the sofa.

Over the course of the day, it has gone from a minor squint to slightly blood shot with a white patch. She appears more comfortable now than earlier.

I am desperately hoping she doesn't have to have her eye removed. Maud is a pretty girl ( she is my avatar ) with a desperately laid back happy attitude, even when poking her with saline and compresses.

Everyone is having a manicure this evening to prevent further damage from scuffles.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 am

Aww Sad these things can happen. Children's Nurofen (orange label/box) is what we use, and it's good stuff - they seem to like it and it really helps. Can't remember the exact dose - 5ml I think? Might be on here somewhere though if you do a search, failing that I'll check with Karl for you.

Keep a close eye on it (pun not intended!) and it may need removal Sad but hopefully not. FWIW - they cope very well with only one eye.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks Zoundz.

Maud is doing much better - eating like a pony and generally happy. The eye is fully open again and although a little cloudy, the blood shot appearance is diminishing and her regular black is coming back.

There is no puss and she is no longer in apparent pain. I will continue with saline washes and pain meds for a couple of more days, just in case.

Question, is it advisable that she see a vet tomorrow? If not, what signs should I look out for regarding infection, etc. before she should see a vet.

I am dreading the prospect of an eye removal but so far, it doesn't look like that will be the case. Fingers crossed! I already have one runt with ongoing Resp issues and a doe with an anxiety disorder/borderline personality. With a one eyed girl in the mix, my place will truly be home for special needs ratties!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 am

Great to hear shes feeling better Smile i have no experience of eye issues really,nearest thing was when Ghostie nicked her eyelid.twice Roll Eyes Love so personally i would take her to the vet,just because id want to make sure as i wouldnt really know what to look for.You've obviously made her more comfortable though which is always good Smile 
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:10 am

Only you can decide on a vet visit - I can't possibly say without seeing her myself - you're doing all the right things, but it would be wrong of me to make any judgement on whether she needs to see a vet or not Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 am

Maud and I are back from the vet.

The diagnosis is a corneal abrasion with a possible ulceration. She will be on Fucithalmic Ointment three times a day for the next week and Baytril for the next ten days. She is to return to the vet again on Thursday to see how she is progressing.

It is very possible the eye will need removing, but providing she is comfortable, every effort will be made to keep it. Fingers crossed!

She was weighed and comes in at a whopping 380g - she is a big girl! I brought Monica the runt along and compared to her measly 170g in April after the last Resp infection, Monica is now a healthy 250g. Although tiny looking compared to the others, I guess I should stop calling her a runt from now on.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 am

Fingers crossed Maud's eye recovers well Smile 
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 am

AUGH! It's not 5ml at all - it's like 1-2 ml! Dammit I have no memory!

Fucithalmic is good stuff - perhaps, if you can get a prescription for it from the vet, if the Fucithalmic isn't working - you can try Optrex Infected Eyes (for people) it has chloramphenicol which is good.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah, I did a rough calculation and gave her 1.5ml. Now that I know her weight, I think I under dosed her.

She seems to be doing well. The eye is less bloodshot now with just a single yellow circle.

I discovered that salmon paste for ferrets is brilliant for hiding Baytril. This is the stuff: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/snacks_supplements/vitamins/261112.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Ooh - that's new on me, only used Ferretvite, Nourishem and Nutrical before, they're all malt pastes, wonder if my lot would like the Salmon (does a bear... Evil Grin )?

How long does it keep? Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 am

The salmon paste is great for medicines and clicker training. To them, it has a high value and is great for keeping their attention and getting them motivated. Unfortunately, it is fortified so I alternate between it and Nutri-cal with the sickly ones. I prefer the unfortified malt pastes for training which are just as appreciated.

It is not so much all the vitamins I worry about but why is it that nearly every item for pets has heaps of vitamin A added? Often, it is better to buy their treats from supermarkets and health food stores. I imagine any fish pâté would be just as good as the paste.

To answer your question, once opened, it has to be refrigerated and then used 'soon'. The label doesn't specify a time but with my rats, it lasts a week to ten days - it's a small tube.
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks. I suspect you're right about other fish pastes, but I'd have to wonder on the salt content and quality. I couldmake my own I guess with a tin of sardines! They adore sardines. Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am

Thankfully, the amazing power of rats to heal has won the day and Maud is better. We will continue the fulcithalmic and baytril for another three days but enucleation is not required. Phew!

The eye has shrunk but the ulcer is gone and the infection has been obliterated. She is possibly/likely blind in the eye but she seems happy as a rat in a house plant!
DJF
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Brilliant news!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator