Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theodore

4 posters

Go down

Theodore Empty Theodore

Post by katherine Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 am

Feeding the boys last night we found Theo Cry He was under the shelf in his cage stretched out like he was relaxing - I hope this was the case and he didn't suffer Sad The awful thing was we had come in earlier to get Bertie and Maddi out and I had seen his tail sticking out from under there and assumed he was sleeping, I din't know what difference it would have made to find him half an hour earlier but I feel bad, especially as I joked 'as long as you're alive' Meh

I'm finding every time there's a hundred 'if only's, I was going to give him a wet meal tomorrow, and it was his and Monty's turn for free ranging in the evening, I regret that he wont get that, and other things. Of course, he did get them at other times, but it wont happen again for him Sad I checked them yesterday morning at least and he was asleep in the hammock with Monty then. I hope it was as unforeseen by him as it was by us.

To tell the truth I'm still completely shocked, I can't quite believe he's gone. He was so robust and healthy (he suffered a little with his chest but nothing out of the ordinary, just flare ups from time to time). I hadn't even considered losing him so soon, I was totally confident we'd get him beyond two.

He was a very special guy. In his baby days he was a trouble maker from the start and wanted to be boss even though he would almost fit in one hand. We called him our little punk, he was always starting 'dominance' (har har) fights with Monty and stealing Reggie's food - the only way to get a rise out of Reggie, and getting roughed up for his trouble. He ended up as big as them and the alpha male eventually as we (and he) always knew he would be. He massively mellowed in his old age, and far from being a bully was a huge softie at heart. After Reggie died he took Algy under his wing and ket him company, and has been close with Monty since Algy died. I wont ever forget the time that Ishy bit him and he looked as though he'd have to be sat down and given a cup of tea and a blanket, and the way he reached out for Monty Laugh He was a real old gentleman, albeit a cowardly one.

He never lacked in character, although he changed so much, I'll always remember the things he did that made me laugh, from screaming like a little pig whenever I picked him up for the first week or two, to shoving Monty's face out of the way with his hands when he wanted to drink first, or for that matter, swooping in upside down to share the spout with Algy - come to think of it he was a real water bottle hog Laugh and the way he'd let me give him tummy rubs and kisses without a struggle and then spring up all dignified Laugh, how I could never get him out of the cage to clean it for about 6 months, and having to clean it around him with him trying to catch the cloth, and him dunking his head in my tea cup whenever I wasn't looking to steal it, his filthy minging tail, his gorgeous smell - I'd get anyone who was willing to sniff him Laugh and not such a laugh but a permanent reminder - the lovely scar on my foot from where he decided it was something to gnaw on a few weeks ago... I'm kind of glad I have it now.

I don't know when he went from being the boy at the back to being such a favourite with me but it happened slowly over time, it wasn't exactly love at first sight with Theo and me (although I did love him from the start, just differently), it was more that he burrowed his way into my heart. He's certainly staying there anyway. I asked Laura for a lovely agouti boy and he (and she) didn't disappoint, he was more than I could have hoped for. I'll really miss my squishy, nut smelling gentleman.

Here's Theo as a tiny baby
Theodore 23667_10

Him helping us move
Theodore 35691_10

His handsome face
Theodore 35691_11

And because I can't choose, Theo doing some really Theoey things
Theodore Sdc10110
Theodore Sdc10410
Theodore Sdc10610
Theodore Sdc10611
Theodore Sdc10612
Theodore Sdc10613
Theodore Sdc10614
Theodore Sdc10710
and his last days with us
Theodore Sdc11221
Theodore Sdc11222

So many more I'd like to share but I think that's enough to be going on with Tongue

Last edited by katherine on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : room for one more photo)
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Theodore Empty Re: Theodore

Post by Catz Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 am

Oh he was just so handsome.. Im really sorry for your loss. Dont focus on the wat if's.. you could never have known. He knew he was loved and cared for. You are in my thoughts.. Take care xx
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 am

If I had a penny for every what if I go through when I lose a rat, I'd be a billionaire...

I am so very sorry he's gone - it was such a shock Sad and he was too young really - though of course we all see him as an old gent... it's just not fair... :*(

He really was a special lad, a boy I grew to love every bit as much as my own - and it's clear he was much much loved, and I couldn't have found a better home for him anywhere. Thank you for loving him... and cuddles to Monty - who's variety meant that we thought he'd be the first to go... but must be feeling the fact that Ironically, he's the only lad left Sad

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 am

Thank you both Smile he was very special, and will be massively missed.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:39 am

And as for Monty he's had his ivermec and chick peas and sardine mash with glucosamine and garlic supplements as well as Dr Squiggles and calcivet. He's in his hammock now snoozing off all the vitamins. I really hope he'll be ok.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 am

Oh Katherine, you poor thing,what a shock to get Sad he really did have the best life with you,the best food,company and loads of love and affection and it sounds like he slipped away quietly x he was a lovely little man,and the pics of him are just full of personality Smile i love that one of him drinking esp Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum