Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spay/neuter

2 posters

Go down

Spay/neuter Empty Spay/neuter

Post by Hazel Dillon Tue May 27, 2014 4:29 am

Hey everyone. I'm preparing myself as much as I can before I bring my rats home. I have two house bunnies, one male and one female. I strongly believe in desexing them as the chances of getting cancer for female bunnies is 95% between the ages of one and five.

What is any of your opinions on this for rats?? Do any of you guys have had this done to your rats and did it go well??

With bunnies it's the fact that their tummies have stopped working during operation time and that is a serious problem so you have to get their tummies going with food ASAP afterwards or they'll die. Anything like this problem in rats??

Thanks Love 
Hazel Dillon
Hazel Dillon

Back to top Go down

Spay/neuter Empty Re: Spay/neuter

Post by Zoundz Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 am

I don't think that problem occurs in rats - though it may - I know you're not to fast them before surgery.

Certainly though, it's not advisable to spay or neuter as routine. The good doesn't quite outweigh the bad, it's a difficult op for a small animal, and generally, vets in this country are not experienced enough for the ops to be quick and easy, they do have a reasonably high rate of complications and/or failures.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Dillon Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 am

Oh goodness really!!  Cry I thought for sure it would eliminate some cancers they're susceptible to Cry I'll stay aware from that idea then, thanks Laura xxxxx
Hazel Dillon
Hazel Dillon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue May 27, 2014 6:07 pm

It can help in some things, it reduces certain hormones and in females can help reduce risk of mammary tumours, but then, in well bred lines, especially with good food, those are not *that* common anyway. Diet is the main cause of benign mammary lumps. To be honest, most cancers seem mercifully rare in rats anyway.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: