Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

): old age or hld?

2 posters

Go down

): old age or hld? Empty ): old age or hld?

Post by redrach Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24 am

My oldest boy Albie is around 29 months now. For about 6 months (maybe longer) he's been wobbly on his feet, for a while we thought he had hld but then he seemed to get better. He's been up& down hill a bit, but doing okay most of the time. Today he seems a lot worse, he's really bad on his feet now, his wobble is so bad he can't go more than ten steps without falling over. When eating he still manages with two front hands sometimes, but tonight it's mostly just one hand. Since Monk went downhill we'd been giving Albie extra meals at night, including senior aid. He's down to 450g now, which is 200g less than he was at his heaviest. He was a bit chubby then, so really he's about 100-150g less than when he looked his best. The weight loss has been gradual over a few months, so i'm not too worried, and he seems to be maintaining his weight at the minute.

Here's a video from tonight:
https://youtu.be/L83UjgWmjk8
i'll link another when it's uploaded.

Basically, does it look like hld or just old age? Monk's back legs were going a bit before she went downhill..
I guess it doesn't make much difference really what it is..
I'm wondering when it's best to move him into his retirement cage. He's in with 3 other boys, one (chandler) about 27-29 months and 2 are 10 months. He'd be going into his retirement cage with, at least, chandler, but i'd really like all 4 to go in together so i'd not have to worry about reintroing chandler when albie leaves us. They get plenty of freerange, but do you think they young ones would be too limited in the retirement cage? It's a rabbit one.. not sure of measurements, but longer than the furet plus.. Then again, they might eat all his food on him..
Help? ):

redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

): old age or hld? Empty Re: ): old age or hld?

Post by redrach Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:31 am

redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 am

looks like hld to me, but really he seems to be doing so well I wouldn't worry much, especially at his age Shocked I know what you mean about it seemingly getting better and worse, Monty's does that too, but he's much wobblier at the back. Personally I'd move them all in there while Albie is still doing well, so it wont be a big shock to him later on in life - but maybe more experienced owners would disagree. I'd then free range the others when the food goes in if you're worried he isn't getting enough, so he gets first pick, though tbh I'm finding that leaving Monty to his own devices is working very well, he's doing a lot better with the new boys challenging him than when he was with Theo and he could just lie in bed all day. Laugh

Albie's a gorgeous boy anyway, he looks great for his age Grin I hope he continues to do well Grin
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am

thanks katherine.
anyone else have any ideas?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum