Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scabby rat

2 posters

Go down

scabby rat Empty scabby rat

Post by smokierat Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:20 am

OK so Smokie has had a scab on her cheek for over a week now,dry,no sign of spreading or anything.She doesn't seem to be scratching it eexcessively, I was home most weekend but I spose she could have when I wasent around.Planned on making an appointment this week if it didn't go away,definatly going to now as Eoghan just noticed scabs on her cagemate Noodles Confused neither of them seem to be scratching all that much,no visible pus atc except for a small scab near Noodles inside back leg.I'm absolutely kicking myself for not bringing them to the vet last week Angry but we had to take Tuffy and we can't have those in the same carrier,I would've also felt a bit cheeky taking them all at the same time.Noodles long hair completely covers the scabs but they can't have been there that long we would have seen them.Hope to god its not something bad or staph related that I could have spread to the others Meh or gotten myself as I won't be able to go to work with anything like staph-not so good for the kids Shocked if it is staph,would I expect to get antibiotics and...?what else could it be,beside mites obviously?
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

scabby rat Empty Re: scabby rat

Post by Zoundz Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am

OK - calm down. Pics! Wink

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:09 am

scabby rat 08D5EE9D-orig
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 am

Hmm... looks like buck grease... kind of need to see it in the flesh really... could be lice, are the dots moving at all? It doesn't look like scabs... :/

It's not Staph by the looks of it, so that's one worry over! Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:09 am

I can't see them moving at all but that's not to say they're not.he does have a few small scabs too,he was getting stressed so I gave up trying to get a pic of those.Smokie now has a smattering of the reddish brown dots too,but both seem otherwise OK..am over emotional at the moment anyway so over sensitive Embarrassed with the limited time we have with Tuffy and everything but mope over Embarrassed Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 pm

(((((((((hug))))))))))

We can possibly come and have a look at some stage, there's always this weekend when Katherine's back over? However, if you're worried mean time, I would think about maybe a dose of Ivermec or puppy Stronghold, just to see if it is lice. The stronghold will kill it all in one treatment, where as the Ivermec needs repeating.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 am

Yep its lice Roll Eyes so I have ivermec for all of them and antibiotics because Smoke and Noodles have a few infected cuts..I presume it is OK to give the babies at such a young age?she said it was anyway.how they got them I just don't know,its either the shavings or a new rope bridge I got recently for them coz I haven't been near other rats recently or even rattie people Laugh
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:03 am

It can be all sorts of things, we had an outbreak here too - so don't worry! In fact, you possibly may even have got it from us last time we saw you!

Anyway, it'll be fine on the youngsters too Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:26 am

The vet said she saw someone from around here a couple days ago with the same thing a well so i dunno...when did we last see ye?I'd say its been too long wouldn't you?itl just gonna be annoying if we have to get rid of the shavings (again cost the last lot were damp)at least its cheap though Smile where did you get yours last?this batch seems very Bitty if you know what I mean,not nice big flakes like your stuff...we got them in arrow,Eoghan asked for the dust extracted,kiln dried the usual cos I wasn't there
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:00 am

Hmm - we had a bad batch from Arro a while back too - they seem to be back to normal again now!

I would say it's not likely that it came in with the shavings.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: