Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hamster Sue is having a seizure

+2
katherine
GillianK
6 posters

Go down

My hamster Sue is having a seizure Empty My hamster Sue is having a seizure

Post by GillianK Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 am

First Blanche is put down, now my hamster Sue has lost total control of her muscles. She walks in circles shaking and falls over, is half the size she was. Taking her to vet but with an animal so tiny, I doubt there's anything they can do but euthanise. What a dreadful week. Has anyone seen anything like this before? She was ok yesterday, maybe thin but running about!

GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

My hamster Sue is having a seizure Empty Re: My hamster Sue is having a seizure

Post by GillianK Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:56 am

Took wee Sue to the vet. Vet said it looked like a neurological disorder and that it was kindest to pts. So had wee Sue put to sleep. 2 wee pets in one week had to be euthanised. :-(
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 am

Oh poor sweetheart Sad It looks neurological to me but that's all I can say, I'm sure you knew that already. I'm so sorry Gillian, what a week you're having *hug*
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 am

Sad oh gosh, I'm so sorry Sad I would say a stroke, and that you did the kindest thing ((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))

What a rough time you're having.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:06 am

im so sorry Cry I went through something similar in April,had to put my girl Tuffy to sleep and my boy Noodles,her dad a week and a half later (((((((((((((hug)))))))))))) don't really have words for it but know people are thinking of you xx
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 am

What was so sad was Sue took a long time to pass away. She was put in box like Blanche and whilst Blanche passed out with the gas within a few seconds, wee Sue took a couple of minutes to stop spasming and scrambling. Then after injection, another 5 minutes for her little heart to stop. I won't be keeping any more hamsters, so Peggy will live her life out on her own. I understand that hamsters do well on their own anyway. :-( Feel like I'm doing something wrong this week! :-(
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 am

I'm so so sorry Gillian! That's so sad and must be really hard for you. I know how you feel, when I had Albie PTS and then Chandler died 5 days later I thought I must be doing something wrong, in fact, I convinced myself for weeks there were all going to die. You did the very best thing for them though and none of this is your fault. Your love for your animals is very obvious. I hope things get better for you now. Thinking of ya.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:05 am

My poor hamster Jim went the same way. He kept falling over and I picked him up to put him in his cage so he didn't hurt himself and he bit me out of frustration so I knew he was distressed. Before I could bring him in he was gone SadMy hamster Sue is having a seizure 20561_1181649273566_3120413_n
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 am

Was doing some research and found out that there is a disorder called 'spinning disorder' in robo hamster, which affects the white faced ones like Sue. It is believed to be a congenital disorder and causes them to spin in circles, be unable to settle, lose balance and go upside down and struggle to go the right way up. There are levels of severity of this and Sue had all these symptoms and hers was clearly severe as she was unable to eat or drink and consequently had lost a lot of weight. Sadly there is no cure. :-(
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am

Aw I'm sorry I just saw the update on her being pts Sad Poor girl. You're doing nothing wrong, it's a combination of bad luck and small pets getting older too fast. You did the right thing for both of them.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down