Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

meany misbehaving

5 posters

Go down

meany misbehaving  Empty meany misbehaving

Post by carol Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 am

last night i kep meany in my room as she on her own now but i got no sleep at all with her an was up at 6 am for work it was like she was throwing her self at sides of cage an running around like a mad thing an squeakin i tryed letting her free in the room she wasent having it an refused to leave the cage she hasent eaten all day now she in a cornor looking at me as if 2 say i want my sisters back wat have u done with them she still wont come out of cage an wont even take a treet from me is this normal behavior ,she is back down in living room this evening 3 died of tumors an one was nearly being murderd at 4 this mornin Sad Sad

carol

Back to top Go down

meany misbehaving  Empty Re: meany misbehaving

Post by siofradh Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 am

Awww it sounds like she is really suffering...Sad are you going to get her a friend? poor her, my heart's breaking for yis xx
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 am

not sure yet as still hurt over the 3 girls an i dont think meany will take 2 another ratty il see how she is over next few days be 4 i decided

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am

Poor girl, does sound like she's taking it quite hard Sad

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 pm

They do take it hard, rats morn the loss of their friends, My boy Jack was crying for days when his Brother Ted didn't come back from his final oppointment with the vet. (yes, they cry, at a supersonic frequency of 25Khz). It took him a good week to get some bounce in him again. In the meantime we got 2 boys from the DSPCA and gave them the time to seatle in and get their check-up form the vet. Yesterday we did the final introduction (more in the introduction on a seperate post) and besides of some territotial huffing from Jack and a few spats, they seem to get on now.

From what I observed, an intro with girls is somewhat easier then with boys, especially if your lone rat happens to be an alpha.

Give her some time, she probably doesn't undertsand what happening to her sisters and blames the otherone...

I read somewhere its actually a good idea to show the deceased bodies to the rattie to help them understand they passed on. I don't know how much truth is in this, but I learned so far that rats are capable to display high level social behaviour..

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 am

That's very interesting about showing rats the bodies, but it makes sense sense, they're so intelligent that i'd say they would understand more.
i would say she'd take to other rats given time, females are generally very easy to intro in my experience.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:03 am

Rats don't do well on their own; human interaction really isn't enough for them. They need their own kind. I would suggest getting her a ratty companion, or if you don't plan on continuing to keep them rehoming Meany if she's healthy. Other than that you could try to continue keeping her, maybe she'll be ok. But my experience with rats is that they need a friend.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 am

meany has lost weight an a lot of her fur she takin food but not eating i went up 2 a mate of mine who works in a pet shop an she let me have 2 young girl rattys i had them in cage last 2 days near meanys cage an all seemed 2 be going ok till i let them all rome around living room 2 day everything was goin fine till one got close 2 meany an i nearly droped she attacked the young ratty the poor little thing was bleeding from top of her ear an side i gave the girls back 2 my friend told her it wouldent work out as meany is being really mean the job i had tryin stop them fighting was unreal i was bitten on 2 parts of my hand im really thinking 2 let her join her sisters on monday i think it would be 4 the best as she not coping at all an i honistly dont no wat else 2 do Sad Sad Sad Sad

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 am

intros can be difficult, and take time but females generally do accept eachother after a while. can you take the females back and try intros on neutral territory, ie the bathtub? injuries do happen, it's part of the process.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down