Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free hairless rat

+5
katherine
Zoundz
EssDubya
redrach
Catz
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Free hairless rat Empty Free hairless rat

Post by Catz Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:59 am

Hey guys saw this add on done deal. Free single hairless rat. The cage is the bit thats worrying me, its completely bare and the rat has no company. Wonder if anyone wants to help this guy out. There are other ads for rat kittens from other counties but they are purposly bred so less urgent.
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otheranimals/2769478
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Free hairless rat Empty Re: Free hairless rat

Post by redrach Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 am

Can you find out how old he is?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 am

& any other general info.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 am

I'll email them now Smile
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 am

He's a year old and an unwanted child's pet :-( He's located in Rathfarnham. I might be interested in taking him but I live in Carlow and won't be able to collect him for a while. Would anybody nearer be able to collect and hold onto him for me?

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:12 am

Glad someone nearer might be able to take him. I'd have room for him but I'm really far away and would need help getting him up here. Hope you get someone to hold onto him for a bit or you can get him sooner. He looks lovely and really in need of a better home.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:44 pm

I had a hairless girl when we first moved to Ireland - rather miss her - but not a fan of them to be honest. They are not without quite major problems, often, which is why no-one reputable in the UK breeds them!

Good luck with him! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am

Aw he's lovely. Poor boy stuck in there alone with nothing to do Angry this really annoys me that parents will obey their children's whims and then allow them to just not look after them. I had to beg my parents for years to be allowed any pets, prove that I could take care of my friends' pets while they were away and if I had ever decided I couldn't be bothered I know that the answer would have been 'you wanted it, you look after it' GRRRR rant over. Hope he gets a lovely new home.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:33 am

Zoundz wrote:I had a hairless girl when we first moved to Ireland - rather miss her - but not a fan of them to be honest. They are not without quite major problems, often, which is why no-one reputable in the UK breeds them!

Good luck with him! Grin

xx

I had presumed that his genetics wouldn't be great for his health but would it be any worse than other pet shop bought rats? What do you mean by "quiet major problems"? My heart just went out to him when I saw the pic of him in his cage alone with no toys or anything to do Sad Will I have to worry about him being cold??

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:56 am

Oh the poor boy Cry He has nothing to snuggle up in, he must be freezing... and nothing to play with... that makes me sick Sad As far as I know EssDubya, hairless rats need a little bit more effort than normal ones. I think the room temperature has to be kept warm and fairly constant. I think their skin needs special care too. He is gorgeous though! Stupid ignorant people.... Angry
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 pm

EssDubya, I could possibly foster this little guy for you until you could pick him up?? I'm only a few minutes away from Rathfarnham. I presume they are giving him away with his cage, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to hang on to him for a little while. When do you think you could collect him? Maybe we can work something out... I'd have to talk to my housemates about having an extra cage in the living room though, as Oscar's already takes up a whole corner Laugh If they're ok with it, and if you decide to take him, let me know and I might be able to give him a temporary home (a much nicer one than the one he's in now Sad ) If anyone else thinks they can help, let us know - between us all I'm sure we can figure something out Smile x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Many thanks for your kind offer Smile but I'm hoping that I can arrange for this little guy to be collected tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 pm

That's great! Well, let me know if it doesn't work out. I really would have no problem fostering him for you. I'm curious to know what he feels like Big Grin I'm crossing my fingers for you! x
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:30 pm

When I saw him in his cage all alone and literally crying out for attention and TLC, my heart broke. So sad to see him all alone, almost imprisoned, has that sense about it, ie being abandoned. Hope all works out for this little guy, Steve.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Hopefully you get him and everything goes well.
I'm still an option if you can't.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Hairlessness is a funny old thing. The main problems seem to be lactation issues etc - which obv. won't be a problem for him. The things I personally experienced were a much higher tendency towards cysts and abscesses. Also, they get scratched by cagemates (and themselves) fairly easily - so claws being short can help. They don't seem to have any greater tendency to cold than other rats, but one living alone may.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm

Did this little man get a home sorted then? How is he doing?
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 pm

He's living with my bunch now and is now called Kojak Big Grin .... he had always been kept on his own and despite being a bit shocked and stunned initially, seems to be settling in well with my other four boys. One of my boys is very domineering and there have been a few scuffles and lots of squeaking on Kojak's part he seems more than happy to hide and cuddle with my quieter and gentler boys in the shoe box. He's tending to stay in the shoe box most of the day but fingers crossed once he settles in he'll become more adventurous and curious and discover what hammocks are for.....

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:15 am

I'm so glad.
Don't forget to upload some pictures when he's settled!
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:44 am

thats good 2 hear ,, again a lot of rats for sale on done deal an gumtree some fella offering a rats an cages 50 euro each they will go 2 people who will end up dumpin them or getin fed up with them its so annoyin , im glad there was a happy out come for kojak Grin

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:08 am

I messeged that guy Carol since he was offering breeding pairs and single rats and asked him to reconsider selling rats in that way and possibly join the forum so he could learn about appropriate cages and diet. I didn't get a reply but I hope he is thinking about changing the ad.
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 am

Oh and I'm sooo glad Kojak is in a new home with friends! Thank you for taking him on Big Grin
Catz
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by carol Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 am

there sumone else now sellin 2 with cage 100 euro , there was a woman lookin 2 rehome 3 males other day i sent her a message 2 join here an she mite get a good home 4 them , lots of kids gettin new pets 4 xmas an dont want the old ones anymore its not right an come next xmas this years ones will be dumped yet again ,

carol

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:55 am

I have the cage pictured in the original donedeal ad if anyone would like it? It's big and i just don't have the room to store it.

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Where are you based? I'm more than a little interested, could really do with another of these cages!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next