Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

naked mole rat..

4 posters

Go down

naked mole rat.. Empty naked mole rat..

Post by redrach Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/award-winning-naked-mole-rat-for-sale-rare/92899060

So I came across this..
I'm not actually sure if it's legit and I have no intention of getting a naked mole rat, I just thought i'd share as I thought they seem very interesting but there doesn't seem to be much info. about on the internet.
From the few things I have read, they shouldn't even be kept as pets (source:a zoo website) because they rely so heavily on company.
There is also limited info. out there about what exactly their diet is and how they would be fed as pets.
I think it's maybe not legit as I've found no sources selling them in NI, let alone places judging them in competitions..

But anyway, thought it might make some good conversation if anyone knows anything about them.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

naked mole rat.. Empty Re: naked mole rat..

Post by katherine Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 am

Yes I know about them and no they are certainly not to be kept as pets. They are obviously naked, and also basically blind, they live almost entirely underground and are so inbred they are essentially all clones of each other. They are a female orientated species and the dominant female is the only one allowed to breed, rather than using aggression to stop the other females mating she bullies them so much that the stress renders them all infertile... they're amazingly interesting creatures and look like you-know-whats with teeth which also makes them amusing Laugh
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by EssDubya Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 am

We saw them in animal kingdom in florida. They were living in a huge colony in an underground tunnel system. Absolutely facinating creatures but definitely not pet material.... poor thing.... wonder where he came from?????

EssDubya

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:10 am

Indeed, they seem very interesting.
I have no idea where he came from, i'm from the same town as the ad and i'm certainly not aware of anywhere it could have came from.
I've never even heard mention of them in Northern Ireland, even in the zoo.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:43 am

My hunch is that it's actually just an ordinary hairless rat... and the photo is not of the animal in question... is anyone close enough to go and see? If it is a normal rat perhaps help out?

NMR are NOT pets - how anyone even got hold of one amazes me... hence my hunch that it may not be one.

xx

ETA - have found the photo on FoxNews website - so it's a stolen image as well! Wink http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2010/08/06/natures-horror-show-ugly-creatures/?test=faces#slide=17

Think it's just a fake advert! Wink
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum