Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rat books?

+3
limerickrats
Zoundz
Simba
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rat books? Empty Rat books?

Post by Simba Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:13 am

Just wondering if anyone has some recommendations of good rat books. Preferably ones with more than 2-300 pages, cheap, and not colourful thin hardbacks with simplistic advice. Something with a bit of substance. What can I say, I'm a fussy reader. Big Grin

Simba

Back to top Go down

Rat books? Empty Re: Rat books?

Post by Zoundz Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum Simba! Smile

There's not a great deal of general stuff out there - but there's some interesting more in depth stuff. Roy Robinson's "Genetics of the Norway Rat" and Alison Campbell's "Scuttling Gourmet" are good. As are the NFRS Handbook and the Debbie Ducommon First Aid Booklet.

Online the best 'book' is Estelle Sandford's 'Ratz.co.uk' website Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:42 am

Just on rats in general, I found this book really interesting!

http://www.amazon.com/Lab-Rat-Chronicles-Neuroscientist-Successful/dp/0399536639

I got it on www.alibris.co.uk - they are great for sourcing second-hand books Smile
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 am

That looks brill! Will have to try and find a copy!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 am

http://www.easons.com/display.asp?K=9780399536632 that lab rat chronicles looks brill i found out eason has it here is the link. Smile
I hope this is helpful to you and if you order over €10 euro the delivery is free the book is €11.90:)
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:21 am

Pet Owner's Guide to the Rat - Lorraine Hill (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=384600&r=BOOK
Pet Rats - Patterson Colin (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=3247205&r=BOOK
The Rat (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=400885&r=BOOK
Training Your Pet Rat - G. Buscis (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=451081&r=BOOK

These are a few books that i bought the other day online still waiting on them to be delivered should be soon then i will tell you if they are any good.

i was on the NFRS site yesterday i wanted to buy the books you mentioned waiting to hear back Smile
Smile
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 am

bikerwitch wrote:Pet Owner's Guide to the Rat - Lorraine Hill (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=384600&r=BOOK
Pet Rats - Patterson Colin (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=3247205&r=BOOK
Training Your Pet Rat - G. Buscis (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=451081&r=BOOK

These are a few books that i bought the other day online still waiting on them to be delivered should be soon then i will tell you if they are any good.

i was on the NFRS site yesterday i wanted to buy the books you mentioned waiting to hear back Smile
Smile
Hi guys my books that i ordered came in Smile I only got to flick through some of them but i got to read this one. Pet Rats - Patterson Colin (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=3247205&r=BOOK. I is very well written and its easy to read. I have to still finish it yet but so far so good this is a brilliant all round beginer's book and it wasnt that expensive. I even picked up lots more tips. there is always something new to learn even when you have had rats for years, as my partner discovered.

this is also a very good book it shows pictures of different types of breeds. I havent completely read it yet so far thumbs up Smile

Training Your Pet Rat - G. Buscis (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=451081&r=BOOK this only came this morning so will read it and review it later Smile

]Pet Owner's Guide to the Rat - Lorraine Hill (Books) http://www.play.com/Product.aspx?title=384600&r=BOOK this is a very basic book its ok if you want to get general tips off it and it has a few demonstration pictures.

the Lab rat chronicles came in so far its a very intense book may take me a while to get through it. But if you want more than basic info this is the book for you. Smile its availble in Easons for about €11including delivery which is free Smile http://www.easons.com/display.asp?K=9780399536632
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:03 am

Brilliant - thanks for posting these! Smile Really hope I can find a copy of that Lab Rat book - will have to have a look in Easons next time I'm in Cork Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 am

I have the training your pet rat book (I actually have copies because 2 people bought me it for xmas last year).
I don't really like it for a few reasons: it notes that aquariums are good rat houses- it does note that it needs good ventilation but avoids the fact it's not good for a pet that needs to climb.
It did however redeem itself slightly in suggesting that bird cages can be good (something I hadn't thought of until I read the book).
It goes through some pros and cons of some beddings which is good for beginners.
I don't like it's discussion of rat foods as it talks a lot of lab blocks which I don't imagine to be very good for them as a sole food longterm (someone correct me if i'm wrong).
The book mentions both breeders and pet shops, which is better than just mentioning pet shops I suppose..
It does note good things to watch out for when getting a rat ie. bright eyed, not too timid etc
It also notes that rats are much happier in groups and not alone.
It gives good ideas for store-bought toys and things you could make yourself or buy at hardware stores etc and gives a few layout ideas.
It gives a good chapter on free ranging and how to rat proof etc.
There's a chapter on 'leash walking' which I don't really agree with but get the impression it's more common in the USA.
There's then a chapter on training and good ideas on healthy treats to use such as rice krispies.
Chapters on toys and games for rats are pretty good and have some good ideas for things to make and do with them.
There's then a section on cleaning on that sort of thing- it's good for talking about spot cleans (something i don't do enough of) but i don't like it's mention of using a disinfectant once a week on the cage and plastic toys.

Overall I think it's a pretty good book, especially for beginners. There are some things I don't really agree with, but it is very much in a 'each to their own' sort of way, it does get the basics.

ps. as I say, I have a spare copy, if anyone wants it pm me, i'll only charge postage costs.

redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:50 am

Also, i've been reading th Scuttling Gourmet on and off. I think it's a bit intense and hard-going at times, but it is a valuable resource.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:31 am

redrach wrote:I have the training your pet rat book (I actually have copies because 2 people bought me it for xmas last year).
I don't really like it for a few reasons: it notes that aquariums are good rat houses- it does note that it needs good ventilation but avoids the fact it's not good for a pet that needs to climb.
It did however redeem itself slightly in suggesting that bird cages can be good (something I hadn't thought of until I read the book).
It goes through some pros and cons of some beddings which is good for beginners.
I don't like it's discussion of rat foods as it talks a lot of lab blocks which I don't imagine to be very good for them as a sole food longterm (someone correct me if i'm wrong).
The book mentions both breeders and pet shops, which is better than just mentioning pet shops I suppose..
It does note good things to watch out for when getting a rat ie. bright eyed, not too timid etc
It also notes that rats are much happier in groups and not alone.
It gives good ideas for store-bought toys and things you could make yourself or buy at hardware stores etc and gives a few layout ideas.
It gives a good chapter on free ranging and how to rat proof etc.
There's a chapter on 'leash walking' which I don't really agree with but get the impression it's more common in the USA.
There's then a chapter on training and good ideas on healthy treats to use such as rice krispies.
Chapters on toys and games for rats are pretty good and have some good ideas for things to make and do with them.
There's then a section on cleaning on that sort of thing- it's good for talking about spot cleans (something i don't do enough of) but i don't like it's mention of using a disinfectant once a week on the cage and plastic toys.

Overall I think it's a pretty good book, especially for beginners. There are some things I don't really agree with, but it is very much in a 'each to their own' sort of way, it does get the basics.

ps. as I say, I have a spare copy, if anyone wants it pm me, i'll only charge postage costs.

Hey Redrach
I only got that book today Smile i havent read it all yet but i will take note in what you said. We always let our guys free range every day they love it with their digging boxes everywhere. we also go them a little carrier in case we need to bring them to the vet they are playing around in that so when they do need a vet visit they are use to the surroundings and are not so scared. Smile but the Colin pattersons book is really good well worth a read Smile

in alot of books they are based on one persons opinion so its always good to not take everything in. i believe in choosing what is best for your rat if your rat doesnt like something that you are trying to train them on then you have to find other alternatives. for example our guys hate the harness so we wont use it on them. I hope i make sense here Smile

I have ordered the scuttling gormet on the nfrs site along with another book they had Smile
maybe we have a ratty book club Smile Smile Laugh
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 am

I LOVE the scuttling gourmet book Smile I must dig out a few of mine to check exactly what i have,but I know I have a few of Debbie Ducommons books...that lab book sounds interesting
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 am

Zounds if you give me your address I'll send you my copy of the Lab Rats book. Smile
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks everyone!

I'm not a rat owner (my family would strongly disapprove, and the terriers and cat would be overjoyed), but hopefully someday...

I did lurk for ages on the old forum, I think I've read every thread. For the moment I'm just reading and trying to inform myself as well as possible, and waiting until it becomes feasible. So thank you all for the useful information!

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:45 am

Awww Simba... Sad I can't imagine not being allowed rats! If you ever can, you're more than welcome to visit the rattery here and have a load of ratty cuddles Smile

Aisling, are you sure? Grin That'd be awesome if you didn't mind? I'd send it back when I'd read it Grin
xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bikerwitch Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 pm

aww thats a shame. I wasnt allowed pet rats so i moved out Smile now i have 4 wonderful mad rats i hope someday u will have the same. Very wise for you to read up on rats first. I should of done that but i have learnt alot from both my rats and books luckily my partner had lots before so he thought me handling etc Smile
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:24 am

Absolutely Laura! Just PM me your addie :-)

I have a couple of other general books on rats here but they're not much good - I should probably post up the titles so people know which books on wild rats aren't worth buying!
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 am

Please do! That's almost as important as knowing the good ones.

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:23 am

Okeydoke, here's the thumbs down list:

Jerry Langton Rat: How the world's most notorious rodent clawed its way to the top

I didn't learn anything new. It was kinda too easy a read so I flew through it. And there was some misinformation in there.

S. Anthony Barnett The Story of Rats: Their Impact on Us, and Our Impact on Them

Dull, dull, dull! I struggled to finish it.

Robert Sullivan Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants

Very disappointing as it had the potential to be really interesting. He spends more time musing about what he is doing, than actually telling us anything interesting about the behaviour of the rats that he's observing. The book is badly structured - it goes around in circles. Another one I struggled to finish.
limerickrats
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by Simba Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 am

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of information I want- I'm plotting what to get off amazon since rat books are hard to find, and I don't want it to arrive and be uninteresting or not useful.

Currently looking at Rika's thread on her three girls up for rehoming and reminding myself that 'Surprise, we have rats!' isn't a good way to persuade the family. Responsible, be responsible, be responsible... Laugh

That reminds me, any suggestions on how I could learn handling, or is there anything to read or do which might help? I'm good with handling hens, but they're bigger and sturdier.

I apologise for my incessant questions, and I'm sure there will be lots more!

Simba

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 am

Tour questions are always welcome!
Regarding handling i'm not sure there is really much to learn. I think the main thing is never to pick a ratty up by their tail. as they get used to you, you may find you don't really need to 'pick them up', as soon as I open the cage doors mine all clamber onto me and they know when I make certain noises, or walk to the door that it's time to go and all climb back on me at the end of freerange. At first, when they're getting used to you i'd recommend a scooping action or just letting them climb onto you. Now I tend to just gently lift mine by the waist with a hand supporting their back end, kind of like lifting a cat.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 am

As far as reading material about handling goes, I've never come across anything, but it would only be about half a page if there was. It's basically all confidence on both sides and you build that up with practice (again, both the human and the rat). Rache has already said don't pick up using the tail. I tend to grab mine round the shoulders, with my fingers facing along the rats body, so if they decided to bite it would be much less painful, also it's just easier. I think the best bit of advice given was by Karl who said if you're nervous or the rat is a bit iffy to use one hand to shove their bum onto the back of your closed fist, so there's nothing fleshy on show to get bitten (he can correct me if I got that wrong or explained it badly). Some people advocate the claw method, like you'd use to grab a hamster but in my experience rats are just too big for that to work, although I do have quite small hands.

As far as reading material goes I'm afraid I can't help though, sorry.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 am

Regarding what katherine said about nervous rats, that sounds like good advice. When I got Branflake she bit me every opportunity she got. I found wearing gloves was really good both for stopping her getting me badly, and for making me a bit more confident.
But hopefully when you do get ratties you'll get yummy ones from Zoundz that are well bred and are unlikely to bite or be overly nervous when you get them.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:03 am

I can certainly vouch for bongo furies being the polar opposite of nervous or bitey rats Smile
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am

Me too, I haven't ever had one who wasn't handleable and pleased to see me from day 1, not even Theo who was a little unsure about the whole picking up thing Laugh
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next