Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roan or not?

2 posters

Go down

Roan or not? Empty Roan or not?

Post by Francois Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Just something I wanted to throw into the group.

One of our girls, Bubbles has husky markings, and when we got her she was a black/white husky, but as soon the had her fist shedding, all her black turned to an almost silvery grey shade (making her looking quite the sophisticated little girl) Love

Now that we returned from a week holiday, I noticed that her color darkened again, especially on top of her head.

I noted that the other girl/boys seem to get different shades as well, switching between darker/lighter coats.

I heard about roans, that pale with each shedding, but since my girls/boys bounce both ways, I suspect they are not roan?

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Roan or not? Empty Re: Roan or not?

Post by Zoundz Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:49 am

I suspect they are roan - possibly mink (though not likely if they were black when you got them! LOL) - though mink would account for strange moults. Have you got photos? Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 am

We'd posted (well the missus did) some on the forum already.
Roan or not? DSC_0104

Bubbles is on the foreground, she used to be much darker:

Roan or not? CSC_0006

I will try to get a better pic over the next few days, but she is a gorgeous looking girl with that silvery fur.

Ted, one of our boys, just recently colored up a bit as well, ever so slightly while Jack seemed to have swapped his black hood to something more agouti.

While Ted is obviously "the pretty boy" (with lovely eyes) its Jack that will steal your heart with his antics Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 am

They are roan yes Smile Sounds like the colour changing in all of them could be rusting - changing from black to brown is usually due to rusting Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Roan or not? Empty mink after all?

Post by Francois Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 am

As time passes, I notice that Bubbles got darker in colour again. I always thought she fluctuated a bit but when comparing the photo of my last post with this one, it is obvious.

(Bubbles is in the foreground)

Roan or not? IMG_6337

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum