Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About vets.

+3
Zoundz
GillianK
Babs
7 posters

Go down

About vets.  Empty About vets.

Post by Babs Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:41 pm

This morning Basil had somehow managed to injure himself, but at the sight of the blood I instantly thought of Darcy and wasted no time taking him to the vet. I told them over the phone that I'd like to be seen as soon as possible in case it was internal, and they let me in for 10.30, actually saw him at 11.15, and of course by then Basil had already cleaned himself up and didn't look half as bad.

Now the clinic I always take my rats to is Clontarf, because usually the vet there is the only one who knows anything about rats because he keeps them himself. Today, unfortunately, he wasn't there and by the time Basil had been examined and prescribed his antibiotic, the bill was run up to 57 euro, for consultation of an exotic animal. That's the first time I've ever been charged for an "exotic animal" for one of the rats. Usually it will come to 25 for consultation and whatever antibiotic they've been prescribed. It was nearly 60 altogether for this visit.

Is this the normal thing, for a rat to be charged as exotic? Because it's never happened to me before and...well they're not really exotic, are they? I don't want to change vets because I still like my usual guy and he never charges me for that, but I'd rather not pay that much. It's the principle of the thing really!
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

About vets.  Empty Re: About vets.

Post by GillianK Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 am

Goodness, no my rats have been charged the same as my dogs and cats get charged. The only animal I have who I get charged considerably extra for is my horse! And that's understandable as there is a call-out fee for her and she's a large animal. But no, my vet never charged me extra for my rats.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 am

I've often seen them charged as exotics. My own vet is €30 for a consult and then the rest on top. I get annoyed when they charge consult for surgery etc, especially when they don't do a consultation at all... but what can you do? I would vote with your feet, and tell them you won't use them again, and why. Rats are not exotics - just another way for pretty wealthy vets to make an extra euro out of you... Roll Eyes

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 am

If you're happy with your normal vet then don't leave but I would certainly complain. It wont hurt to shop around either in case you find somewhere just as good, but kick up a fuss. Phone a few other local surgeries and ask them for a quote. If you get any saying cheaper tell your vets 'so and so will do it for 30' or whatever it is. Also if you have any previous reciepts from your usual guy bring them in and ask why you have been charged more for this visit. Don't threaten them but explain you simply can't afford that sort of bill every time. I'm sure whoever was on the desk just made a mistake. If they are good business people (and most vet surgeries are) they will refund you the difference.
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 am

my ratties have always been classed as 'exotics' and ive been charged accordingly-it usually ends up being around 50 somethingish if theres any meds or anything involved.ive see another one since,and got charged decidedly less.To be honest,i would do as Katherine suggested,just explain that you usually pay less and stress that you are very happy with your usual vet (a bit of flattery never goes astray Wink ) they could have made a mistake or just chancing their arm...price isnt everything,having a vet you can trust is priceless but that doesnt mean anyone should be taken advantage of,thats why we tried a new one recently,they came recommended by Katherine,the cheaper price is just a bonus Big Grin that said id still consider my old vet,as another option despite the price
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 am

My vet charges for an exotic pet. It's about £11 I think for a consult. But i'm not sure how much they charge for cats or dogs and the last place I went (where they told me my girls were boys) charged £21 for a consult.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 pm

It is important to shop around regarding vets, let them know how you feel and if you have any information on other vets in your area, let them know the difference in price re consultation etc. I would not consider rats to be an exotic animals, I may be wrong but I would class them among small animals like rabbits, and guinea pigs, Steve

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks for all the help, guys! I was afraid to mention it while we were in the vet, just in case they said I was being undercharged all the other times and added it to the bill or something. I probably won't change vets, because I do still like the usual guy. I might call them up and ask over the phone though. If they say it was supposed to be exotic the whole time, I suppose I'll just act like I'm taking my custom elsewhere and do some looking around for rat friendly vets. If it comes to it I'll go back to them, but it just annoys me because seriously, how are rats exotic? Tis crazy! Roll Eyes

According to my bill here, it was 37.50 just for the exotic consult. It's more than I've ever paid before.
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 am

It's not right, and I would complain. Perhaps complain to the vet you normally see, and say that you have always been really happy with the practice, but to be charged so much is ridiculous - especially when rats are hardly exotic, they're a lab animal for heaven's sake!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks Laura, it's good to know that I'm not just being whiny here! It really is worth complaining about, at least to see how they explain it themselves. I sent them an e-mail asking nicely what it takes for an animal to qualify as exotic, and next time we bring one of the doggles for their vaccinations to The Good Vet I'll mention it to him. Wink I suspect if I address it once then they'll either insist it should be that price all the time, or they'll relent and will just charge the regular price in future. If they don't they don't, I can always go back with my tail between my legs if I need to, or find another place that knows their stuff on rats. It's not a huge deal, but like I said, it was more the principle of the thing.
Babs
Babs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down