Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know of any rat sitters?

+2
redrach
GillianK
6 posters

Go down

Anyone know of any rat sitters? Empty Anyone know of any rat sitters?

Post by GillianK Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 am

I'm going on holiday in August for a week, dogs and cats are going into kennels and cattery. Last year my rats went to the kennels too but they were kinda just stuck out in a freezing outhouse and left for the 2 weeks we were away. I'm sure they were looked after but Blanche in particular will be 2 this August and is used to heat, daily free range and lots of love. Dorothy I'm sure would be fine as she's kinda skittish anyway but I don't know how Blanche will cope with being stuck out in the cold and ignored for a whole week. I also have 2 robo hamsters too, and I'm sure the kennels will take them if I'm stuck, but I'd just prefer if there was another place which would give them a warmer place to live and a bit of handling. My rats are so friendly and loving, they aren't the kind who do well being left in a cage all day. Anyone know of anywhere? I drive and will travel anywhere for the peace of mind that my rats have someone taking proper care of them. Maybe a place you've left your rats before?

Gillian
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Anyone know of any rat sitters? Empty Re: Anyone know of any rat sitters?

Post by redrach Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 am

I can't 100% guarantee I'll be here in August yet, but I'd happily take them. What are the dates?
I'm currently ratsitting for Rachel (I think her name here is Rizzo), so maybe you can contact her after her boys go home tomorrow for a more objective opinion on my 'services'.
I don't charge anything, but I do expect enough food and bedding to be left with them. I also can't guarantee hours of daily free-range, but they will have time out of the cage every day, and at least 30mins to run around in the hall every other day.
Regarding the hamsters, I've never even held a hamster before and know NOTHING about them, but if you're willing to educate me a little I'm sure I could take them too.

I'm sure there are probably other people on here who would also be willing to rat-sit for a week for you.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 am

Also, if you search here for claireharvey, she rat-sit my lot for a week last year and was good with them. So she may also be an option.
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:00 am

Rachel, thank you! I would really appreciate that. It's mainly for Blanche's sake, as Dorothy would be fine in any circumstance. We are gone from 14th - 21st August but would want them left from 13th as we leave early on 14th. All I'm looking for is their cage to be set in a warm house, not in a cold outhouse, and yes for someone to pick them up and say hello to them even for a short period each day. It'd be nice for them to be with someone who understands rats, might be able to tell if they aren't well or if they're hurt, that kinda thing so if you could take them, I'd feel very comfortable and happy for them to be with you.

My robo hamsters are teeny and quite skittish and don't require daily handling. I have a little playhouse as well as their cage they go into for a change of scenery and they go in every other day. But again for them just a warm house to live in and something to look at. My rats and hamsters live in my sitting room so see the hussle and bussle of family life every day. I'd leave them at home as my neighbour is looking in on and feeding my fish and my finches, but she is terrified of all rodents and it wouldn't be fair to ask her. I've got some pics of my hammies so you can see. Sure let me know if you'll be available. Of course I'd leave their cages, their toys and all feed and some money just incase they need vet care, that kinda thing. And I'll definitely give you a donation or offer to return the favour anytime!

Blanche and Sue (yes Blanche is super placid!)

Anyone know of any rat sitters? B_and_10

Blanche and Sue

Anyone know of any rat sitters? B_and_11

Peggy

Anyone know of any rat sitters? P_210

Sue on my mobile, gives you an idea of their size

Anyone know of any rat sitters? S10

Last edited by GillianK on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:35 am

They're SO tiny!! Shocked

Well, we don't have any plans as of yet for August. There was the possibility that we would be going to Spain for a few months for Luke's work, but it seems now it will be the odd week here and there for him and possibly one or two long weekends (if any) for me. But, at the same time, I finish uni in May and the summer's going to be a really uncertain time for me with university and job applications, so I don't feel right saying 100% I can take them. I'd say, assume for now that I will, it's highly likely, but perhaps try and organise a back-up in case it gets to June or July and I suddenly have to decline.

All else sounds fine. We can discuss vet things nearer the time (I.e. I like to know where I stand in case there is any chance of a need to PTS and major things such as operations). I also have 1 spare cage, but if you prefer to bring yours that's fine. We can work out all the logistics much sooner to the time. Smile
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:46 am

Thanks missus. But honestly, the kennels will take them in a heartbeat anyway. So please don't feel under any pressure if you can't take them that's 100% fine, they will always have somewhere to go. :-)

Yes Peggy and Sue are tiny. They are ultra cute. I'll put something in writing and leave money for vets if you wish, if more I'll pay whatever is needed when home. Or I'm sure I can ring vets with card details over phone or whatever in any eventuality. But yes if you find you can def take them we can discuss that closer to time.

But as I say, there is no pressure as they will have somewhere else to go if you can't take them.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 am

Sounds good. Don't worry, I don't feel under pressure. I enjoy doing it! I'm just worried this summer is going to be stressful and I wouldn't want to say yes without making you aware of the slight possibility I'd have to cancel.

I just informed Luke Laugh He's concerned if I look after some hammies that I will want some myself Love Of course not. Wink
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:44 am

lol - You might! Haha! But meh, I cant even see it thb. After Sue and Peggy live their lives out, I wont be getting any more. They don't compare to rats!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 am

I don't believe in telling people what to do with their pets, but I wanted to give some forewarning to anyone thinking that the above is normal Wink please do not introduce rats to other small furries or birds - they are predatory, can kill and in many cases *do* kill smaller animals quite happily. Just a word of caution for anyone thinking it might be a nice idea to introduce their rats to their other pets Wink

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 am

Blanche is definitely an exception to the rule! lol! Although tbh they are never together and have seperate cages and seperate free range. This photoshoot was a one-off when I first got the hamsters in January and they've not been together since, and when Blanche was near Sue on this one occasion no harm came to either rat or hamster! Although Sue was strangely very interested in Blanche, Blanche ignored Sue completely and went about her business, as I mentioned Blanche is super placid. And no I wouldn't allow them near each other again due to the possibility that the hamsters may be harmed. As I mentioned this was a one-off occasion. Smile
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 am

Hi Gillian! Yes Redrach I am the proud owner of Gary and Blue Smile. I would definitely recommend Redrach to Mind any Rats who require a ratsitter. She kept in touch every couple of days and let me know how they were getting on. She cleaned their cage regularly and gave them plenty of veg and treats. I was quite worried about being away from them for 4 weeks due to their age as they are both over two but Redrach fed them very well, giving Blue a bit of extra T.L.C as he is getting a bit old looking. Poor old Blue but I collected them Yesterday and they are the same happy chilled out rats as when I left them. Missed them so much so they've been getting lots of cuddles since they got back Smile
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:19 am

Oh BTW Redrach. Thank you so much x Wink and maybe sometime u need a ratsitter I can return the Favor, As long as it's not in October as I'm moving to Cork for a while Smile
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 am

Thanks Rizzo!
I may be away June/July time so I may well take you up on that! Wink
I'm glad they've settled back in. I miss them! Love
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:26 am

Sounds like your guys were well looked after! Yeah I'm really gonna miss my girls when I go away but its only for a week this time which is grand. I'm extremely attached to my white dumbo rat Blanche (as everyone on this forum probably knows!) Thanks for letting me know how well your guys were looked after!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 am

Awh I better make sure If I do look after yours that i don't get too attached. I don't blame you though. Gary and Blue are absolute sweethearts <3
Rizzo
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirodoragon Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm

I'd love to help but i'm in Galway and I'm moving to Cork for college in august D: sowwies!
Shirodoragon
Shirodoragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Moving to Cork? Wink Excellent! Evil Grin You'll have to come to one of our little get-togethers!

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 am

Hi Gillian, I will be here in August and would be more than happy to mind them for you! I haven't had girls before but Oscar is getting older now so I'm used to giving the special TLC that older rats need. I used to have dwarf hamsters a few years ago so I have plenty of experience with them too. Obviously though Redrach has minded other people's rats and is more experienced at ratsitting, so you might prefer them to go to her if she's around! I won't be offended, ha! I will be home most of the day finishing my dissertation so they will have plenty of free-ranging time, our house is warm, their cage will be in the sitting room where Oscar's is, and they'll get as much love and cuddles as Oscar does... which is a lot! Like I said, you probably would prefer to leave them with the more experienced Redrach but I'm another option for you if you want Smile xx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum