Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently!

4 posters

Go down

Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently! Empty Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently!

Post by siofradh Sat May 12, 2012 9:47 am

Hi all,

There is a huge puppy farm in Kerry with about 80 dogs, mainly pregnant bitches and puppies. Many people have reported this to the KSPCA and the gardaí, but they have done nothing. Most likely because of the amount of dogs so loads of rescues based all over Ireland are organising a collaborative effort to have the puppy farm shut down. What they need is help! Mainly fosters and transporters. If they have enough space for all the dogs they will approach the KSPCA again and hopefully they'll get on board. There are mainly smaller breeds, JRT's, Westies, Yorkies and Poms, but there are a few larger breeds like hunting dogs and dalmations.
This is being operated mainly through a facebook page, so if you can help in anyway, please let me know. I don't have an exact date of when it's going to happen, because we have still to get in touch with the KSPCA and Guards and have yet to find enough foster homes but I'm expecting it to take place in the Summer if everything goes to plan.
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently! Empty Re: Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently!

Post by Zoundz Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 am

Just playing Devil's advocate a bit here... how is this being gone about? Legally they cannot take dogs from someone surely? No matter how bad? Surely the same warrants needed by the SPCAs are still needed? All else aside, is it not going to put a massive strain on an already very overstrained rescue sector?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see all these places shut down too - I'm just trying to see it from all sides Smile

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently! Empty Re: Puppy farm in Kerry: Foster homes needed urgently!

Post by siofradh Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 am

Well what we're hoping to do is get enough space for all the dogs and write a letter to the SPCA, then if they agree to help, they will get warrants. The main reason nothing's being done is because the Kerry SPCA don't actually have room for all 80 dogs, so if they know there's places for them all to go, they shouldn't have a problem.
Yeah it's really alot of pressure on all the rescues involved, but many of the dogs currently in rescue are going to sweden, czech republic and the UK fairly often so the ones involved will most likely have room. Smile Most of the dogs will probably be in foster homes anyhow - they'll been living in cramped, disgusting conditions their whole lives so those dogs will be best suited to a home environment for socialization. So far there's 27 foster offers, 7 of which are rescues so we're getting there!
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 am

Problem you have is that it's actually legal... as long as basic 'needs' are being met (such as food and water), then actually, there is *nothing* that can be done (and that's probably why the Gardai and KSPCA won't step in). Technically, it's legal and allowed, and in fact, IIRC, promoted by the Teagasc as a good business idea...

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh Sat May 26, 2012 1:57 am

Sorry Zoundz - Just saw the reply now! Embarrassed I also just realised that I posted this in the rat rescue and rehoming section... Roll Eyes Anyway, from what I heard they actually don't have food and water, and that puppies are being left dead with their litter mates for days. Some of the dogs have ended up in local rescues with serious health problems too! Sad
siofradh
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Sat May 26, 2012 4:41 am

Sad
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Sat May 26, 2012 8:27 am

Sad I hope this ends in a good way for these poor doggies Sad wish I could help Sad
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down