Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :(

+2
GillianK
bikerwitch
6 posters

Go down

Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :( Empty Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :(

Post by bikerwitch Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi All
i found this site accidentally on google and there is someone in Ireland who has bred rats for 'Pet shops' but pet shops were not buying their supply as people dont like rats (as they said )as soon as someone is willing to hand over cash. They were willing to sell to anyone, i found this very cruel as I would want to be a Breeder in the future but I would never do this. I am studying all about it and hopefully find a perfect male and female to breed a litter of lovely rats. If i am going to be a breeder in the future i will have strict rules in place in order to make sure that the Rats would have a perfect life Smile Smile
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111220
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :( Empty Re: Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :(

Post by GillianK Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I do see where you're coming from, but although I love rats and hate any animal being killed for food (I'm vegetarian!) reptiles are carnivores and need to eat. If its done in a humane way, then I can't see the difficulty. However totally agree that rat lovers like ourselves are not going to want to produce rats only for them to be sold as feeders! (btw I'm not a rat breeder) So yes a thorough screening process would be a must.
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :( Empty Re: Fancy rats bred to be reptile food :(

Post by bikerwitch Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:14 pm

GillianK wrote:I do see where you're coming from, but although I love rats and hate any animal being killed for food (I'm vegetarian!) reptiles are carnivores and need to eat. If its done in a humane way, then I can't see the difficulty. However totally agree that rat lovers like ourselves are not going to want to produce rats only for them to be sold as feeders! (btw I'm not a rat breeder) So yes a thorough screening process would be a must.
i do understand that rats and mice are the main source of food for reptiles and i wouldn't make any animal go on a veggie diet. but this person was intentionally breeding rats for pets, and is now willing to sell them for food. That's what bothered me about it. Sad
bikerwitch
bikerwitch

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 am

Its illegal and completely cruel and unnecessary to feed live animals firstly.secondly,what are the chances that person will give these rats a basic level of care,and euthanise humanly?snakes need to eat too,so people need to raise and euthanise their rats in a humane way and feed them frozen.someone who declare that they aren't ready,don't have the premises etc not sure how to euthanise etc but has started breeding etc Evil Evil Evil although if it was done properly might encourage people doing it at home without a clue but if they are trying to do it with competitive prices in mind I doubt it Cry
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 am

I think there are many people who head into breeding without a clue... it's very sad really. It's not just enough to find a good male and a good female either... you need to have very real goals and know the lines you're working with and how to achieve your goals.

xx

ETA - please be aware that the 'deano' who posted is a member here (or maybe the old forum).
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

You know, I know it happens and like others have said I realise snakes need to eat too etc... But seeing people talk about it like that just made me feel really weird, almost sick. Its all so matter of fact. I think seeing people talk about doing it is almost worse than some of those rat farm photos.

Farming laws really need to put animal welfare higher in priority.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Markopolo Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 am

"Farming laws really need to put animal welfare higher in priority." [/quote]

as far as i'm aware its illegal to use live animals as feed to reptiles unless in circumstances where the reptile is is young and wont feed on frozen food, but must be wiened off live as soon as possible but i dont see how that could be inforced Sad

Markopolo

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm

I was referring more to the fact people can farm willy nilly without a thought to standard of care for the farmed animals. Though care standards for farmed animals are always behind the times.
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down