Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switch

+4
Zoundz
GillianK
smokierat
katherine
8 posters

Go down

Switch Empty Switch

Post by katherine Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am

I don't know what to say Sad Switch has followed his brother Cry

I came home from work to find his front paw on the same side as his gooey eye all curled up tight and he wasn't walking on it. We took him to the vets, of course, and the vet watched him walk and tested his blink reactions and told us he had an inner ear infection which had turned to an abscess inside his ear and pressed on a nerve that had paralysed his eyelid and caused his eye to become inflamed and ulcerate, and also paralysed his front leg.

He told us that PTS was the only kind thing to do ad that Switch would only last 24 hours anyway and be in a lot of pain.... of course we had him put to sleep Cry

It seems so black and white when I put it down but I feel awful. When I came home and saw him I thought he would have to be put to sleep but in the waiting room I changed my mind, he gave himself a proper bath while we were waiting, using his funny paw and everything. The vet put him on the floor to see how he was on his feet and he climbed the metal frame of the table no problem - it didn't seem like he was ready to go Cry

I told the vet I would rather he have something to make him comfortable, even if it meant he'd die at home shortly after, but he said there wasn't anything he could give him and he would be in a lot of pain and suffering so what choice did I have, but it still seems too hard Sad

I don't mean to mope, I would rather talk about all the good times but I can't yet, I'm heartbroken after losing both of them so close together. I gave him as much nutrical as he wanted before we left home so at least he had a full belly and he was cuddled so he knew someone was there for him. He licked my hand and bruxed in my arms while the vet set it all up - weirdly enough he hasn't done that for a while, it was like he was cuddling me back Smile I told him thank you for everything and that I loved him and he clearly replied in his own fashoion Love Cry

It makes some sort of sense that he's followed Forz so soon, they were like 2 halves of a whole - both wonderful boys, each had something so special that added to their wonderful partnership - Those who knew him will understand what I mean, I'm sure and I know there will be a few people shedding tears over him tonight - nobody forgot him or didn't think he was fabulous Love

He wasn't trully my rat, I know Laura will be just as heartbroken over him, but it feels like he was - those two boys had hearts and souls bigger than their little bodies and they wont ever be forgotten. They're back together now in my garden and I hope they are together in spirit now, somehow - your uncle Algy will look after you Love

Only one picture this time. I have more, but this one says it all.
Switch Sdc11210
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Switch Empty Re: Switch

Post by smokierat Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 am

Cry my heart dropped when i saw this in fb Cry I'm tearing up now after reading that x il never forget the first time I met him down in Laura's,he was the first Rex I'd seen in the flesh and i was bowled very by his handsomeness,he was like this big manly sheep Smile and soooo licky and friendly Shocked Love he was such a lucky rat,to have had 'his'two women in his life,who loved him so very much and showed it the man has had more cuddles than possibly any other rat Love he was an amazing ratty who lucked out and had the life he deserved Love and now hes back with his best buddy x Sweet Dreams lovely Switch xXx
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 am

Aw I am so so sorry to hear this. He must have just missed his brother too much, and they are now reunited and well again. Your heart must be broken. So so sad. :-( I do know how it feels to have your beloved rat put to sleep when they are otherwise well, as I had to do it myself last month with my beautiful Blanche. She was grooming whilst waiting to be put to sleep too. She was eating, drinking, but when there is only pain for them, there is no choice for us. You made the right decision by him, and he is off finding Forz as we type!
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am

Thank you Garce for your kind words, it means so much especially as I know you were very fond of him too. Kiss

Gillian, thank you for that, it really brings a sort of peace when I think of my decision to know others would have and have done the same thing in that situation - it's different to a vet telling you it's what's best when you know that the person really understands how attached you are to them. Kiss
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 am

:*( you're right, heartbroken doesn't really cover it, does it? Sad these boys were awesome, both of them two of the best rats I'd ever owned, and once again I thank you for giving them such a fabulous retirement home, when you needed them, and more importantly when Monty needed them. I missed them of course, hugely, but I knew they were happy and settled, and I knew they were getting the very best care and happiness, so having them back wasn't an option for me really.

You did the right thing today, though I know it was so hard Sad Switch was such a quiet, laid back, gentle soul... I know how hideous it is for you to have had to let go - so soon after Forz too Sad

There's nothing to say really... nothing at all... so some photos of him...

Switch Switch03

Switch Switch02

Switch Switch01

Here are Forz and Switch, with Zoot and Fin (also both gone Sad)
Switch DSC_5072-01

Switch and Fin:
Switch DSC_5077-01

Together:
Switch SwitchandForz

Switchy:
Switch DSC_3577-01

Forz:
Switch DSC_3572-01

And my favourite ever photo of them both <3
http://www.artflakes.com/en/products/atlas-forz-and-switch

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirm Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Katherine... we seem to be visiting this section of the forum all too often, I hope this is the end of it for a good while.

kirm

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm so sorry Katherine! My heart sunk when I read it on facebook, it's too soon after losing Forz Sad
He looked so gorgeous, he and Forz were absolutely to die for. You gave them such a loving, caring home and did everything you could for them.
I'm so sorry Cry
Run free little man.x
redrach
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraBloo Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 am

I think Forz and Switch are to blame for my love of rexes. I'd never even heard of rex rats until I joined this forum. They were both so handsome and cuddly, and a great little team.

I really couldn't believe it when I clicked on the obits section and seen this post. Sad
I guess the only comfort you can take is that they weren't apart for long, and now they're back together.
And also that they touched so many people, even those that didn't meet them. Love
SaraBloo
SaraBloo
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 am

You did the hardest thing Katherine,and the only fair thing to do xxx he deserved the dignified passing he got,of all rats he served nothing less than what you were strong enough to give him x it would've been so much easier to be selfish Katherine,and I know the dread that comes with that decision only too well but you did right by him xxx
smokierat
smokierat

Back to top Go down

Post by shanty Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:22 am

I'm so sorry Katherine. I'm in floods of tears after reading about your loss, which is very unusual for me - I never even knew your lads but they were absolutely gorgeous, and I think everyone on the forum felt close to them through your posts! I'm still upset about Oscar and with so many deaths lately, it's brought it all back - I just feel so so sad for you. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but just remember that it will get easier eventually. I know right now you are probably feeling guilty for having him pts - I know I did - but you mustn't! You absolutely did the right thing, even if it doesn't feel 'right'. I almost didn't sign the permission sheet at the vets, even though she told me he'd have no quality of life I still thought 'no! I can make him comfortable, he'll be ok' but in the end, no amount of love could have saved our boys. Like Sarabloo said, at least Switch and Forz weren't apart for long and now they're back together where they belong Smile I'm so sorry and I really hope you're ok xx
shanty
shanty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down