Irish Rat Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing Doodles!

4 posters

Go down

Introducing Doodles! Empty Introducing Doodles!

Post by Francois Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:57 am

While we still feel sad over the loss of Ted, we also had Jack in mind, who lost his brother and cage buddy.

It seems a good idea to introduce him to a new friend and perhaps keep his mind busy, and help him get over the loss of his brother Sad

We opted to go to the DSPCA as we learned that they had some ratties that needed a good home (and deprive the pet shops of our money)

So the choice was made on a younger rat (aprox 10 weeks) As Jack, always being an alpha, would not feel that much treatened by a smaller rat. This strategy worked very well when we introduced Bubbles to Shiva, so why break away from something you know that can work? Wink

So without further ado, here's our newest member to our crazy family, Doodles:

Introducing Doodles! DSC_0677

Introducing Doodles! DSC_0673

Introducing Doodles! DSC_0672

Doodles already discovered that there is more to life then lab blocks, he seems very happy with that. Laugh

Currently he occupies the top level (which we blocked off from the lower level where Jack is) to get settled in and get used to his new mommy and daddy. Smile

Meanwhile he can get used to the smell of Jack (and visa versa)

Jack's reaction so far is showing interest, with only an occasional huff (but we seen that with Shiva as well before we introduced Bubbles)

We'll take it slow, let this little guy settle in, give lots of atention to Jack as well and see how they will get on in a few days on neutral territory.

Doodles is a beautifull chocolate brown (I think Berkeshire) with a few white doodles on his belly. Grin

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Introducing Doodles! Empty Re: Introducing Doodles!

Post by Zoundz Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 am

He's sweet - he's a black berkshire Smile I must say I'd have gotten two, not one... but I'm sure he'll be OK.

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 am

Actually, you got a point there and did some research on it.

Since we don't want to rush the intro (knowing that with males you need to be patient) it would be unfair on Doodles to be on his own.

Also, it's very likely that Doodles will outlive Jack and then we would have the same problem again.

So we went back to the DSPCA this afternoon and rescued one of Doodles brothers.

We were thinking of getting the other Berskshire, as all the others were spitting images of Ted...

But the other Berkshire seemed reluctant and one of the huskeys was almost jumping into our arms, so the choice was made...

The moment we picked that little guy, the sun broke through.. so we will call him "Sunshine"

We have put them in their own cage, as Jack seemed a bit upset having to part with his top level, so we can take things slowly.

This article seems a good guide for intro's, so we decided to go with that schedule:

http://www.petresearch.net/2009/02/18/a-guide-to-rat-introductions

Here's some advise to anyone that gets into the same situation:

- Your lonely boy will morn the loss of his friend, give him time to adjust, don't rush an intro.
- Do research, better a day spent getting your head around facts and schedules that runing off to get a cage mate.
- Take you time... The loss of a ratty is emotional, and your worry goes to the one that is left behind, but keep in mind, the new cage mate(s) are just as deserving to good treatment as your lone rat. Don't forget that intros can be stressfull on them, especially if you try to rush!

And last but not least: Use this forum, get advice and research! Smile

On a final note:

The DSPCA still have 4 gorgious boys. a Berkshire (or is it Irish?) and 2 huskies of about 10 weeks. Their dad is in there as well, don't know about his age, but he was a friendly fellow Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 am

He's adorable!!! I love him! Always fancied having a black rat for myself someday
GillianK
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Aww - I really am glad that you went back for Sunshine too! Grin Lovely name, and here's hoping it goes really well! Grin

xx
Zoundz
Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Aw he's beautiful! So glad these little guys got a second chance - and what a good home they've fallen into :)I know you'll keep us all updated Smile
katherine
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down